As with any animal there are times when you can stalk to 100 yards (or a lot less) and then there are times when 500 yards is what you have. I know a few hunters that will take the 500 yard shot because they are good enough to take it and because there may be a canyon between the deer and them they will take the shot.

It is always better to get closer to an animal to make the shot but if all you have is 500 yards and you know you can drive tacks with the rifle set up you have then take the shot--lazy doesn't have a thing to do with it.

I have killed coues at 400, 150,250,280,360,235.... my dad killed one at 531, 150, 224 (guessed,before rangefinders came out). i have been with guys killin em at 354, 401, 157... have seen them missed at 380, 220 (me).

Dad and I are both set up to shoot 500+ yards ( I have turrets, he has B&C reticle with the yardage tested) and I hand load for both rifles. We dont automatically take a 500 yard shot because the buck is there and we have our guns, but if that is the shot we are offered with no way to get closer, then its game on!

Like a guy I know from a different sites' tag line reads :"Get as close as you can, but use your skills when necessary." I think that sums it up just perfect!

inside 250 is optimal but I have taken almost as many animals outside of 300 than I have inside 300. I know several guys who will not shoot out past 300 but that is mainly because they only shoot their guns once or twice a year.

I have killed coues at 400, 150,250,280,360,235.... my dad killed one at 531, 150, 224 (guessed,before rangefinders came out). i have been with guys killin em at 354, 401, 157... have seen them missed at 380, 220 (me).

Dad and I are both set up to shoot 500+ yards ( I have turrets, he has B&C reticle with the yardage tested) and I hand load for both rifles. We dont automatically take a 500 yard shot because the buck is there and we have our guns, but if that is the shot we are offered with no way to get closer, then its game on!

Like a guy I know from a different sites' tag line reads :"Get as close as you can, but use your skills when necessary." I think that sums it up just perfect!

Well put Casey! :)

TJ

I hear some people say they shoot coues at 500 yds and others say thay shoot em at 100 yds. Is this just because of their setup or are they to lazy to make a stalk?

+1...again,Casey!!! Well said.... ;)

Sky,

Yes, there are lazy hunters.... Just like there are bad cops, or shoddy construction workers, or worthless mechanics, or lousy computer programmers.... on and on and on. There are a couple of rotten apples in every box your open.... in life. ;)

I have harvested coues deer at 12-20 yds and as far as 420 yds, My boy has shot them at 11 yds and as far as 620 yds. The largest Coues deer hanging in my house was taken by my wife, at 170 yds. I think there are several factors:

1) Equipment; Archery vs. Rifle (or Muzzle Loader).... An archer might be able to hit an apple at 100 yds (in perfect conditions) and the next guy might not be able to shoot that good at 25 yds. Same goes for rifles... (100 yds or 700yds) The gun or bow has alot to do with that... I have two 300 wby mags, my LR setup would make you able to shoot a coues at up to 700 yds, maybe more.... my other rifle is a 400 yd maximum range gun... IMO. I own a 30-30 Win that I have killed elk with at 120 yds (open sites).... and would do it again.... but probablty would pass on a shot over 200. ;) Know your limitations as well as the limitations of your gear.

2) Hunting Conditions; Arizona has some af the most diverse habitats in the country I think. Even from one end of a unit to another. Some areas it is very easy to close the distance to 100 yds or less with just a little bit of effort from the hunter.... and in other areas it may not be possible to close that distance to less than 400-600 yds. I have hunted in both... and unless you are very confident in yourself and your gear.... hunting some places in this state are not very productive... IMO.

3) Trophy Quality; If you are interested in shooting the very first legal animal that crosses your path... (TJ)... then you might never have to shoot more than 150 yds your entire life. But, if you are only looking for that one, the trophy of a lifetime, every time you are hunting then you may have to rise to the occasion when it calls for it.

Of course I am outlining what I consider to be Far Right and Far Left, of this distance issue. I would bet that Most hunters fall somewhere in between. Hope this helps you find your answer.

CnS

As with any animal there are times when you can stalk to 100 yards (or a lot less) and then there are times when 500 yards is what you have. I know a few hunters that will take the 500 yard shot because they are good enough to take it and because there may be a canyon between the deer and them they will take the shot.

It is always better to get closer to an animal to make the shot but if all you have is 500 yards and you know you can drive tacks with the rifle set up you have then take the shot--lazy doesn't have a thing to do with it.

Terry well put. Years ago on a AZ coues tag I had a close friend an I glassed up a buck that would have gone about 115 but like you said there was a canyon between us. The buck ranged out at just over 600 yds an at the time I couldn't shoot those distances so I didn't take the shot. After two hours of watching the buck of my dreams come an go well not so much as go because to this day there is not a dream, that buck does not show up in. An since that day I have spent many hours out at the range so I can make that ethical long range shot next time an this is what pushed me into long range shooting not being lazy... Bryan

I hear some people say they shoot coues at 500 yds and others say thay shoot em at 100 yds. Is this just because of their setup or are they to lazy to make a stalk?

3) Trophy Quality; If you are interested in shooting the very first legal animal that crosses your path... (TJ)... then you might never have to shoot more than 150 yds your entire life. But, if you are only looking for that one, the trophy of a lifetime, every time you are hunting then you may have to rise to the occasion when it calls for it.

CnS

CnS....I'll have to check but I thought that was a law. :o You mean it isn't? :huh:

TJ

My longest shot on an animal is only 425 yards, as I could not get closer. Like TLH said, sometimes a canyon will not allow you to get closer, so either shoot or not.

The familiarity I have with my customized 30-06 allows me to shoot well beyond my capability if I chose to, however, I don't like ranges much over 400 yards. The slighest twitch, flinch or puff of wind can mean the difference between a clean kill or an animal that may suffer and not get recovered. It all comes down to ability in stalking or shooting.

Or in the case(y) of some people you just might shoot the antlers off by mistake! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Or in the case(y) of some people you just might shoot the antlers off by mistake! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Hey, now.... I Resemble that remark! :blink:

I've heard of bow hunters taking 80 yard shots too. Lazy Bass turds. <_<

You could be throwing Glass in a Stone house, there CC. ;) There is a time and a place for shots like that.... and it has nothing to do with lazy. There are some of the best archery hunters in the country that can and will make an ethical kill at those ranges in the right conditions or situations..... ;) .... I call it, Planning for the Worst, & Practicing to be the Best. It is only Lazy if it is done by some one who has not prepared for that kind of an opportunity. There are always those type of "hunters" in the woods..... but don't group the good with the bad. ;) My $.02! :rolleyes:

CnS

CnS....I'll have to check but I thought that was a law. :o You mean it isn't? :huh:

TJ

Bah HAHAHA!! TJ you crack me up!!! And yes it can be the law if you believe it is the law..... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Heck, 80 yards is the new 50 ;) There are a bunch of folks out there right now that "launch" arrows as soon as they near that 100 yard mark :blink: It sickens me to see it or hear about it........total lack of respect for the animal and the image of bowhunting, and is only done becuase people are so eager to impress and be successful...regardless of how they achieve it! I do know a few folks and have guided a few that truely are capable of taking a 80 yard shot. These folks practice religiously and can group arrows tighter at 80 than most can at 30. Like has been said before, sometimes that once in a lifetime buck or bull may hang up at 80 yards........if that's within your range and you're confident, consistent and are able to range the critter.....then take the shot. OTHERWISE letdown and get closer....no reason to chance wounding a critter......and if you still feel like flingin' an arrow just to see where it hits, then you need to take up bowling and get out of my woods! ;) What it all boils down to is that we all know deep down inside what our limitations are and each one of us knows when we are exceeding our own limits and taking a chance at wounding an animal.......it's not fair to the animal or the sport by taking chances like that. There's my $.02 ;) JIM>

Heck, 80 yards is the new 50 ;) There are a bunch of folks out there right now that "launch" arrows as soon as they near that 100 yard mark :blink: It sickens me to see it or hear about it........total lack of respect for the animal and the image of bowhunting, and is only done becuase people are so eager to impress and be successful...regardless of how they achieve it! I do know a few folks and have guided a few that truely are capable of taking a 80 yard shot. These folks practice religiously and can group arrows tighter at 80 than most can at 30. Like has been said before, sometimes that once in a lifetime buck or bull may hang up at 80 yards........if that's within your range and you're confident, consistent and are able to range the critter.....then take the shot. OTHERWISE letdown and get closer....no reason to chance wounding a critter......and if you still feel like flingin' an arrow just to see where it hits, then you need to take up bowling and get out of my woods! ;) What it all boils down to is that we all know deep down inside what our limitations are and each one of us knows when we are exceeding our own limits and taking a chance at wounding an animal.......it's not fair to the animal or the sport by taking chances like that. There's my $.02 ;) JIM>

Hold on their partner. Why would a 80 yard bow shot sicken you more than a 500 yard rifle shot? There is a bunch of people on this very sight that fire away as soon as they get to the 500 yard mark or more. They even brag about it. What is the wind drift on a 500 yard shot? What about all these volleys of shots that I consistently hear during early deer rifle season. 4- 5 quick shots. ARE THE DEER RUNNING, ARE THEY AT THE SAME DEER? Slob hunting is slob hunting. It is safe to say there is more slob rifle hunters then bowhunters, yet I sense there is more outrage at the so called " unethical bowhunter" This is hypocritical and I 'm sensitive.

Bob