Huntn coues

My tagged/bearded hen

Well this turkey season was a pretty tuff one for me I just could not find many gobblers for the life of me except for 2. One

who led me and a friend of mine on a mile and a half chase :angry: We ended up within 80 yards and could not seal the deal :( The second one my daughter my father-in-law and I got into was in roost a hour and a half before dark. We closed

the distance to 30 yards and I spotted him. I was gonna wait for him to blow out of his roost before I took a crack at him.

Well to make a long story short when I turned around to see if my daughter had the cam rolling and turned back to the Tom he was already in the get the heck outa here mode (and yeah I know Gino) so no bird for me. :(

I hunted a total of eleven day's and seen countless hens and was able to put the wammy on a couple of yotes

with my new chotgun :D My daughter and I even had a bear come into a tank we were sitting.

Well I decided to sit a tank that I had seen lots of strut marks. I had sat this tank a couple of other times

in the evening and saw no birds. I did manage to see a hen on this tank in the early a.m. one morning on my way to another set up.

I had all but given up on the season when I called up Mike "bowhunter4life" for some advice. And all I can say is

he hit the nail on the head! I had told him about this tank with tons of drumming/strutt marks and also told him

about the hen that was on water early. He told me to get back on that tank and get set up a little before the time

that I saw that hen which was 6:35 a.m. Well off I go.....Oh yeah BTW I had just got home and got unloaded when he told

me this so I threw my gear back in the truck and drove the 2 hours back up there.

Well there my father and I sit in the pop up when at 6:32 a.m. my dad says there is a bird coming. As the bird came in

through the trees I kept looking for a beard and telling myself its a hen and about that time the bird took a drink and thats when I saw the beard and I pulled the trigger. The bird dropped in its tracks but about a minute later it flopped around

al little and went right into the pond. While getting the bird out I noticed i had a tag in its wing and called it into AZGFD.

As I was cleaning all the mud off the bird I confirmed it was indeed a hen sporting a 5 1/4 inch beard.

I did some researech with G/F and found out this bird was transplanted as a juvy(spelling) as a bearded hen. She was

captured on 2/07 in unit 23 and transplanted to Unit 21 on the west side of Pine mtn. Also they were amazed on how far

she traveled and are very interseted in the details.

Also a big shout out to Gino for keeping my butt motivated and sticking with it.

I shot this bird in 5a.

post-1274-1211514833.jpg

post-1274-1211514847.jpg

WOW, what a story and way to stick it out. Congratulations on a trophy of a different kind. You definately deserved that bird!

TJ

Got 'r done.....Congrats! I shot a bearded hen once as well.......had called her and several hens in to less than 20 yrds. I was VERY trigger happy and for several minutes I just figured they were all hens but then I noticed the beard and BOOOM.....lead and feathers were a flyin'! Mine had a 6 1/2 beard and I thought at first it was a Jake but later realized it was a hen. Good job stickin' with it! JIM>

Congrats on your bird my Friend!! :D You did indeed earn this one through due diligence and about $750 worth of gas & diesel!!! :blink: :P

You did however forget to mention that I told you not to worry about the bear that was apt to come into that waterhole and that you SCARED it off before your daughter could get video of it... :rolleyes: ... you fraidy cat!!! :lol: :lol:

I do know how hard this Turkey season has been all over and it was really hard to stay motivated... I sure was glad you connected on a bird and a bird with a Helluva story to boot!!!! ;) Way to go, Troy-Boy!!! ;)

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!! You put the effort and the time and all things always seem to turn. That is what friends do share info and keep each other motivated to push through to the next level! congrates my friend. your hard work and $'s were well spent! $100 per pound for a thanksgiven turkey ;)

Um.... I do expect you to return all the rest of my shells..... ;) :P

Great job Troy on a hard earned and well deserved unique trophy. I am always fascinated by what drives some critters to travel so far. Makes you wonder what the old gal was looking for.