gunthenbow

2A/2B/2C ST JOHNS COW ELK HELP

Hi all! Harvested my first coues deer last year. This year, my wife and I put in for elk and didn't get drawn after our 4th year - typical. However, we also put in for left over tags and what do you know? I got the St John's cow elk tag located in and around St Johns, Arizona. From the few hours research I have already done, I'm fairly positive this is a new hunt which is pretty cool. I will attach a pic of Onx to show the area boundaries (I was unable to find a map showing the boundaries anywhere so I plotted it myself). I was number 12 of 15 cow elk tags permitted and this hunt lasts from 7/31-8/13. It's a limited opportunity general hunt. Through E-Scouting and dissecting the AZGFD website I have a few general starting points but having never been there I would love some pointers from anyone who has hunted the area or near it before. I am planning on scouting this weekend thanks to the virus. 😁This will be my first elk hunt ever and I am excited to say the least. I have a turkey hunt coming up but all I can think about is this cow elk tag haha. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 11.32.34 PM.png

this will not really be a 'hunt' in the conventional sense.  these hunts exists for just one purpose-getting elk out of the corn and maize fields along the little colorado river and a few pumpwater tilled acreages.  i would get names and numbers of property owners from the wildlife manager early on and be the first to contact them.  show all respect because you will not get on the properties otherwise.  generally the property owners will have the elk schedule down pat and will have you meet them to get through the gates.

an early and wet monsoon season might lead to the elk having already left.

anybody else with more current advice?

lee

• Like 2

Excellent info, Biglakejake. I was wondering if this would be the case. At least I have a chance to help create relationships with landowners in the area. That is always a plus. Either way, I'm excited to be able to at least get out and hunt elk this year. AZGFD just got back to me on their actual map for the boundaries. it is pretty much the same thing I already posted. I will attach it. St Johns Hunt Area Portion of 2A,B,C.bmp

I'm in the area. There are tons of bulls in this area but the cows are more limited. Talk to the Game and Fish in Pinetop, if they haven't already given you the names and phone numbers of land owners they will. This was taken at the St Johns Airport in December. To be sure I wish they would shoot them from a helicopter! Feeding them all winter is crap.

Notice, no cows-

IMG_0313.thumb.jpeg.25d33367c0b164ed7b199569e8f1aef9.jpeg

• Like 1

not quite bizarre-more like local ambiance.  bizarre starts when town bucks and bulls move onto someones driveway or carport and make the humans honk to park.  or when a lion follow them into town.

close.thumb.jpg.ef0f745b778f64984c2caf358d71f68c.jpg

goooooooooof.thumb.jpg.3c3b7a3db28b470cd86fa167e5bd4e16.jpg

pp.thumb.jpg.31f55093a757e734b73c8b2032e9a4bd.jpg

2018.jpg.2bc5db4e94017fa056822248e175a9ba.jpg

I've hunted that area for antelope. I saw a few elk tracks, but never saw an actual elk. Obviously they are there at certain times, but they move a lot. IMO, one of the hardest obstacles is access. There's a ton of good country in there but lots of private and tribal land to navigate. I would recommend ONX maps and a sidearm + boot knife, neck knife, ankle gun... when you get in there you'll know what I mean. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 11:34 PM, gunthenbow said:

Hi all! Harvested my first coues deer last year. This year, my wife and I put in for elk and didn't get drawn after our 4th year - typical. However, we also put in for left over tags and what do you know? I got the St John's cow elk tag located in and around St Johns, Arizona. From the few hours research I have already done, I'm fairly positive this is a new hunt which is pretty cool. I will attach a pic of Onx to show the area boundaries (I was unable to find a map showing the boundaries anywhere so I plotted it myself). I was number 12 of 15 cow elk tags permitted and this hunt lasts from 7/31-8/13. It's a limited opportunity general hunt. Through E-Scouting and dissecting the AZGFD website I have a few general starting points but having never been there I would love some pointers from anyone who has hunted the area or near it before. I am planning on scouting this weekend thanks to the virus. 😁This will be my first elk hunt ever and I am excited to say the least. I have a turkey hunt coming up but all I can think about is this cow elk tag haha. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 11.32.34 PM.png

Came across your post and was wondering if you had any success with this hunt.  I am also interested in this area.

Thanks!

My nephew says he sees them and gave me a couple of spots where to go pending the upcoming draw, I will also be trying it. 

1 hour ago, joemac said:

I'm guessing you probably won't want to share your spots until after you hunt them at least?  Ha ha!

Sorry classified.