lionhunter

Enough Gun for Buffalo??

On 4/29/2020 at 9:04 PM, yotebuster said:

I shot my Yellowstone bull this winter with 175g swift a frame out of my 7mm STW.  They performed flawlessly.  I killed my muskox in September in Alaska with 175 partitions out of the same rifle.  Wouldn’t use them again for BIG game.  They lost the entire front section and only weighed 110 gr when recovered.  I read they are actually designed to do this to shed energy but I don’t like the idea of a 110gr bullet being what I have to drive deep into a bison or Muskox.   I’ve had mixed success with accubonds but I know some people like them.  

what does musk-ox taste like planning a hunt in Alaska next year for moose/caribou/bear and was thinking about musk-ox I kill for meat

Killed them with a 300rum, 7mm , and wife killed with a 270, I know crazy one shot on all.

24 minutes ago, 50Caliber said:

what does musk-ox taste like planning a hunt in Alaska next year for moose/caribou/bear and was thinking about musk-ox I kill for meat

It’s really good.  The only muskox hunting in Alaska for non natives is on nunivak island and is by permit only.  The permits are very difficult to get so unfortunately you won’t be able to combo a hunt with anything else.  

6 hours ago, yotebuster said:

It’s really good.  The only muskox hunting in Alaska for non natives is on nunivak island and is by permit only.  The permits are very difficult to get so unfortunately you won’t be able to combo a hunt with anything else.  

rats will get info and see what I must do to apply for one how long from when you applied did you get your's 

14 hours ago, Lv2hnt said:

I accompanied a disabled Arizona veteran hunter on the North Kaibab just a few weeks ago. One shot with a 250-gr Nosler Partition .338 Win Mag at 37 yards and the bull died 20 yards from where he originally stood when the shot was taken. That will happen when 3900+ ft lb of muzzle energy breaks the front shoulder, tears up the top half of the heart and continues through both lungs.

A quality bullet in any caliber suitable for elk will do the job (50-yard shots on the Kaibab are not unusual) --- we happened to have an awesome Ariz Elk Society Ruger #1 past banquet rifle with us for the hunt. Important note: shot placement is different on a bull bison than on an elk, etc.! Moving forward horizontally from the penile shaft to intersect with the center of the front shoulder, place your crosshairs 12" up from that point and squeeze the trigger ...

How was the hunt Lv2hnt?  Did you guys have the outfitter up there helping? 

1 hour ago, 50Caliber said:

rats will get info and see what I must do to apply for one how long from when you applied did you get your's 

You apply in December for the following year fall hunt or the next years spring hunt.  The odds of drawing are about 2%

13 hours ago, yotebuster said:

You apply in December for the following year fall hunt or the next years spring hunt.  The odds of drawing are about 2%

bad odds but no guts no glory