Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Recommendations on riding mower.

Tractor with mower is nice but big at times. Husqvarna string mower is badass but takes a long time to mow down a few acres. So, on the cheap, what’s a good riding mower? I’ve never used a mower in my life! It will be used for weeds, buff grass, and any small mid desert vegetation. I do have rocks, not sure how bad that is on blades but I suspect it’s not. Anyways, what’s decent and what do you have or use? I’d like to be able to hook a small trailer or be able to move stuff around the property with it but not a necessity.

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Tractor with mower is nice but big at times. Husqvarna string mower is badass but takes a long time to mow down a few acres. So, on the cheap, what’s a good riding mower? I’ve never used a mower in my life! It will be used for weeds, buff grass, and any small mid desert vegetation. I do have rocks, not sure how bad that is on blades but I suspect it’s not. Anyways, what’s decent and what do you have or use? I’d like to be able to hook a small trailer or be able to move stuff around the property with it but not a necessity.

Give Tony a call. He just bought one and very happy with it.

I have a toy built at work and the rocks have messed it up big time 

Small tractor with 3 pt  and PTO can use brush hog/ rear mower deck works great. Rocks are really rough on blades but the bigger blades on rear mowers handles a lot. 4 to 5 foot decks speed mower time.

A tractor with two stage clutch is handy. Many attachments available.

Post hole diggers

Box Gannon or scraper blade

Rototiller

Burm disc

Regular disc

Backhoe (very versital)

And more.

My Kabota BX23 is my favorite subcompact tractor. You could even make money digging (with backhoe attachment) tree holes, sewer trenches, ditches, etc in your neighborhood.

But I've been spoiled since 2004.

I was going through a riding lawn mower every 3 - 5 years. Tractors are built to endure. Riding lawn mowers normally don't handle moving trailers around very well in uneven terrain. Even Kabota BX23 has some limitations.

PM with my number sent if you'd like to discuss more.

• Like 2

Enjoyed talking with you. Subcompact 4x4 tractor (like 2004 Kubota BX23) with low hours using your existing Massey rear mower (buy extra blades now as Massey has terrible parts support on implements) really does appear to be your best choice.

Now to find one reasonably priced. With Backhoe attachment they were 19k from Bingham Equipment in 04, but I could beat them down to 16k, as I found out, if I bought two. So I bought two at 0% over 4 years. A good friend bought one from me at the same rate. We both still have them. 

Here's my son at 12 when he was small digging to repair our sewer. Block wall is 4' high. Kubota is only 4' wide so it fits in a horse trailer.

IMG_20190119_130948.jpg

• Like 1

Problem with goats, saddled or otherwise, they'll eat his orchard trees, worst than sheep.  And the coyotes would enjoy the treats. Just speaking from experience.