Sign in to follow this  
bvanetten

San Diego Fishing Charters

Fly or Drive from Phoenix?

A few work buddies and I are chartering a 6 person all day boat end of August.  Original plan was to drive out and stay a couple of nights, drive back with coolers of fish.  But plane tickets are cheap.  Those of you that have flown to fish, how did you get your fish back?

• Like 2

Generally, airlines won't allow any perishables on the aircraft that are not frozen, not sure about carry on.  Likely, you'll need to have your fish processed then shipped.  Trusting your gear to an airline is another story. 

We've always had people on our excursions who choose not to fly.  Generally, they will drive large vehicle(s) with all the gear.  The work load for drivers vs airline passengers is another issue.  People who drive, provide vehicles, haul gear, accept responsibility for gear, fish,  etc. ought to be treated like royalty.    

• Like 1

ive flown back with coolers, insulated cardboard boxes, and my carry on stuffed with fish but it was always frozen. i dont remember them ever checking my carry on to see if its frozen though 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

ive flown back with coolers, insulated cardboard boxes, and my carry on stuffed with fish but it was always frozen. i dont remember them ever checking my carry on to see if its frozen though 

This. I have fished from here to Hawaii, Alaska, Louisiana and the Caribbean. They don't care as long as you don't have ice, which can leak and make a mess. I like the drive so that's what we do. If you are coming back just put the  fillets in a ziplock bag and carry it on.

day trips out of 'dego never freeze the fish.  rockfish and often even fork are seldom worth the trip from AZ.  an anglers 5 fish limit of 30lb yft or bft will be 50lbs of prime loin, half that for a limit of 15lb yellowtail.  plan for success and have at least 1 person drive with all splitting the gas-fish or no fish.  wrap ice chests in carpet pad, area rugs or sleeping bags if driving.

please call me that instant if one of the spots open up.  and i have to drive.

lee

10 hours ago, biglakejake said:

day trips out of 'dego never freeze the fish.  rockfish and often even fork are seldom worth the trip from AZ.  an anglers 5 fish limit of 30lb yft or bft will be 50lbs of prime loin, half that for a limit of 15lb yellowtail.  plan for success and have at least 1 person drive with all splitting the gas-fish or no fish.  wrap ice chests in carpet pad, area rugs or sleeping bags if driving.

please call me that instant if one of the spots open up.  and i have to drive.

lee

Constitution is going out Friday.

16 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

Generally, airlines won't allow any perishables on the aircraft that are not frozen, not sure about carry on.  Likely, you'll need to have your fish processed then shipped.  Trusting your gear to an airline is another story. 

We've always had people on our excursions who choose not to fly.  Generally, they will drive large vehicle(s) with all the gear.  The work load for drivers vs airline passengers is another issue.  People who drive, provide vehicles, haul gear, accept responsibility for gear, fish,  etc. ought to be treated like royalty.    

Just brought tons of yummy fish from the keys in our back packs and carry one. They were frozen but from Cali cold is fine. Fly away and good luck.

I make the drive to/from SD and AZ a few times each year.  I usually process on the boat and throw them in the cooler with ice.  I have spent the night before driving home and all is fine.  If you are staying a day or so, you can have the processors by the dock do the fish and freeze and either fly or drive home.  

• Like 1