Quagmire

Tonto Creek Fishing

Hey everyone, I'm heading to Khols Ranch area next weekend and I'm staying in a cabin that backs up to Tonto Creek. I've never fished it before and I'm looking for any pointers and any recent reports. What baits work well. I am not fly fishing, I do not know how...

Thank you!

Spinners garlic power bait. grab a hand full of gravel, toss it in and cast at the same spot 

• Like 2

Leave the throwing  of rocks for protesters.  What you do is fish.  Do you know how to fish?  In the fishing rules booklet that you got when you bought your license is an explanation of fishing and how to do it.  It is real easy especially for hatchery trout.  😷

Thanks for the reply guys. I know how to fish just not fly fish. It's my first time ever fishing in a stream. 

BS aside, walk down below camp tontozona, find the big pools and find some grass hoppers or water bugs and hold on, the farther you go to where Christopher creek meet up the bigger they get, no stockers all hold overs... You have a blast. 

Don't mind ThomC, dude has never left his mom's basement. Last time I stayed and fished at kohl's ranch, I had a hard time locating fish.  The water was a little murky from some rain the day prior tho.  We did manage to catch a couple with garlic flavored power bait.  The trick to fishing those small streams is to get your lure in the water before you spook the fish.  On hagler, I have had good luck making longer casts so as to target fish that are unaware of your presence.  I like panther martins for my casting lures.  Red and black or black and gold.  

• Like 1

there are fish all the way to chevelon when you go past the dams at willow springs and woods canyon.  all wild-the farther downstream you go the better.  some amazing browns..................

lee

• Like 1

#8 Aberdeen with half a night crawler, no weight. When the water is this low, I fish upstream and approach the pools from behind. Take your time. They are likely feeding all day long and if you’re patient you can drift your worm to sighted fish. 

Nice! Thanks everyone for the tips. I will report back next weekend on how everything went.

• Like 1