AZ Conservation groups are asking sportsmen to write letters to stop sweep of AGFD funds.

Legislative Alert

Ask the Legislature and Governor Not to Sweep Sportsmen’s Dollars

Issue: The Legislature and Governor’s Office swept $7,560,695 dollars from Arizona Game & Fish to balance the 2008 budget deficit. Another $5.6 million was taken from State Lake Improvement and Off Highway Vehicle funds from State Parks. Negotiations between the Legislature and the Governor’s Office are occurring as we speak to address the projected $2.2 Billion budget shortfall for 2009. AGFD is again being considered for more funding sweeps.

While $13 million was swept from the AGFD and State Parks 2008 Budgets, some agencies were not swept or only minimally affected and others appeared to have actually received net increases. The difference between the Arizona Game & Fish Department (AGFD ) and other state agencies is the manner in which it is funded. As noted in the most recent edition of The Sportsmen’s Connection, the AGFD does not receive one penny of general fund revenues.

It is time for the sportsmen and women of this state to stand up and say “no more AGFD fund sweeps”.

Call and email your legislator and the Governor today. Do not wait. Make contact today. Time is of the Essence. Remember to be Respectful and Courteous.

Talking Points:

• I am a member of your Legislative District , one of approximately half a million active

Sportsmen in Arizona

• Please do not sweep AZ. Game & Fish Department Funds – they are not general fund monies

• General Fund Agencies should be held accountable and not rewarded by stealing wildlife dollars

• Sportsmen and women have asked the Legislature to impose fee increases numerous times in order to provide the AGFD with the money necessary to conserve Arizona’s wildlife and its habitat. Wildlife dollars should be used for the purpose for which they are earmarked.

How to Contact Your Legislators ( 2 House Members & 1 Senate Member) and the Governors Office:

Click here www.arizonasportsmenforwildlife.org/AZSFW-calltoaction.html

This was my letter to them on 06/09/2008, no replies from them.

I am not sure if it is possible for the state to take money from the

Special tag funds or any of the self funded monies that are paid to the

AZGFD since it is not a general fund agency and relies on sportsmen's

dollars and federal funds, but from everything I have read it seems they

can. I am a huge supporter of the AZGFD and I also know the struggles it

seems that the department has to keep up with projects, let alone the

funds needed to run the department properly. I hate to think that the

legislature and the governor would take the special tag funds and other

sportsmen's dollars to try and fix a 2 billion dollar deficit that the

state is in. Instead of attacking departments that need general fund money

on top of the sportsmaen's dollars, special tag funds, and federal money

they should try and be more fiscally responsible and fix the problem, not

create more. I am a little long on this, but if I could get a little

insight from you or the legislature I would appreciate it, you can forward

to any state senator or representative including my email address so that

they may reply as well. I would hope that if we are better informed as

sportsmen and women we could help the commission and the department to

prevent the theft of our wildlife's dollars from the state legislature and

the governor. Thank You, Keith Gaines Native of Arizona, Sportsmen, and

supporter of wildlife.P.S. If the governor's office has to take money from

the AZGFD why don't they take the money from the wolf, condor, or jaguar

funds instead of raiding the money that is paid by sportsmen to be used by

sportsmen, and don't get me wrong I don't mind my money helping non-game

species, but it sure don't seem fair when the first attacked is the

revenue producers.

Unbelievable! Thanks for the heads up Amanda! Just sent my letter to the Governor.

azyoung

I sent 3 e-mails. I received one response and they said they would do their best to prevent the sweeps.

This is the email I received from commissioner Martin, I sent this and received a response within two days, I sent one to the Governor's office the day after this one and still have not received a response. June 9th until now, the governor must be real busy spending money she doesn't have to worry about the people of this state.

Mr. Gaines,

Thanks for your interest and your support. The funds being swept in 2008 are

not Special Tag Funds, but rather monies from our Watercraft Fund, Off-Highway

Vehicle Fund (OHV), and a portion of a legal settlement we had received.

Regarding agencies that "need general fund money," we are actually not a general

fund agency, but rather operate off of federal funds, license and tag fees,

Heritage (lottery) Funds and dedicated funds such as Wildlife Conservation Fund,

Watercraft and OHV. The fact that we are not a general fund agency makes sweeps

of our budgets especially frustrating for many of our stakeholders. I

appreciate your concern, and it would certainly be appropriate for you to try

speaking with your State Senator and Representatives and/or the Governor's

office regarding your concerns.

Let me know if there's any more information I can provide.

Thanks,

Jennifer Martin

AZSFW was told "when it becomes a matter of funding programs for people versus wildlife, that there is little sympathy for wildlife".

This was from an e-mail received from AZSFW after the sweeps were approved. Rather irritating to know that we can approve and donate our monies specifically wildlife and outdoor funds, only to have the gooberment swipe em as they feel fit. The attitude and beliefs that underlie and found the quoted statement should be disturbing to sportsmen.

Doug~RR

It would be nice to find out who the elected officals that are responsible for the theft. So, we can vote them out.

It freaking starts with the governor and then trickles down from there, I am sure after some checking we can find out for sure, but they are politicians, the doublespeak will be tenfold when they are questioned about why. It was negotiated, it was settled for, it was our only option, it was blah freaking blah, blah, blah. Every single one of our legislators needs to be reprimanded by us sportsmen for this, and the worthless governor needs voted out for sure. You can send an email to the governor, but contrary to what many think that person does not have the cojohones to respond. I have sent a few with questions and recieved the typical email received I will respond soon and have never heard back.