azhuntnut

Nikon's new high end binos

When Nikon proves that they are brighter and the clarity is better than the EL's, the Swaro guys are still going to say that the EL's are better. Some guys like Fords, and others like Chevys. Most of the time it comes down to ego. I know most guys would spend a couple hundred dollors more for Swaros over another product that might be better just to say they have a pair. I own a Swaro ats 80 and think it is great, but I picked up a smaller Nikon ED glass spotter last year and never take my Swaro out anymore. I almost bought the EL's last year, but liked the Nikon LX L's better, so I bought those instead. I guess we will have to see what the outdoor writers and professional birders have to say about the new Nikons. David

I couldn't agree with you more. I started out with a pair of cheapo Tasco's and a 100 dollar simons spotter then eventually worked my way up to some steiner binos. I hunted with this set up for years and found a lot of game with it. My thought was "wow look at all the deer I can find with these cheap stuff imagine how much I could find if I had the good stuff". So finally I broke down I bought a pair of 10x42 ELs and the Zeiss 85mm spotter. 2 years and many hunts later I came to the conclusion that my new top of the line gear didn't help me increase the number of animals I saw. I never once got a feeling of pride because I owned the BEST. It drove me crazy thinking I spent of $3000 in my optics and didn't see an increase of animals so I sold my top of the line equipment and went back to the cheaper stuff.

I now have a $500 nikon spotter and a $275 pair of Nikon Bins and couldn't be happier! For many years Nikon has produced quality optics. They're tops in the mid to low range gear and should give the big boys a run for their money. Got to love the underdog!

Nikon 8x30 binoculars $275. Nikon spotting scope $500. Out glassing other hunters with more than $3000 worth of optics

Priceless. And I mean PRICELESS!!!

David,

Thanks for the link to the bird forum. Seems one can get some educated and more scientific reviews there on optics as birders tend to be picky.

Others are http://betterviewdesired.com/ (although recent reviews seem to be scant)

http://www.optics4birding.com/reviews.aspx#binocs1

http://www.livingbird.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=272

Doug~RR

I think one would have to spend a lot (and when I say a lot, I mean A LOT) of time behind their optics to really tell any difference between (in alphabetical order) Leica, Nikon, Swarovski and Zeiss. More than anything, it probably comes down to ergonomic differences and each individuals preference.

A couple important things about Nikon is: 1) they are not the market leader in the camera industry for nothing 2) labor expenses in Japan are quite a bit lower than in Europe.

I have to say you are all wrong :o . NcSTAR are the best out there for only $14.00 10x50 I can see beyond 2 feet and the biggest bull I ever saw through them was 12 feet in front of me. Man the clarity at that distance is just perfect. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-full-si...by-ba1050r.html

This is fun, I usually don't get wrapped up in debates, especially when it's pretty much about personal preferance. BUT, I have come down the same path as many of you and like Hunter X stated, I started with cheap "hand-me-downs" from Pops. I remember the first day Pops brought home a big ol' pair of Steiners, and I REALLY remember the day when I stole them and claimed them as MINE! BUT.....then he came home with a pair of Swarovski SLC's.....WOW! Those were the clearest, brightest binos ever and they made my Steiners feel like nothing more than an over-rated pair of Tasco's :ph34r: That's where it started for me, and after now owning a pair of 8x50 SLC's, 8.5x42 EL's, 15x56 SLC's and the 80HD STS spotter.......I find more game than ever before. Is it because of the glass I'm using? I don't think the fact that I use Swarovski is the main reason for finding more game, it's more about knowing where and when to glass certain places in certain terrain at certain times of the year........for ME, my Swaro's just make it easier and more comfortable to spend enough time behind em' to get the job done. This is just my epxerience and thoughts after using several brands for extended periods of time, I can sit behind my EL's from sun-up to sun-down and my eyes have never felt fatigued like they have with "other" brands......now my butt is a different story all together :lol: :P

All I tell anyone is to buy the best binocular you can afford and if you can't afford em', then sell somethin' or steal em', you can't kill em' if ya can't find em'! ;)

Jus my two pennies.

Hey David, I don't remember saying I "love" Vortex :blink: I had to say I "liked" Vortex because they were setting my brother up with a bunch of optics to test out. The spotter I thought was great for the price and so are the binos, but definitely stay on the high end of their list of binos....the cheap ones are just that.

Also, after I've said all I've said about how great Swarovski is, I may change my tune in a few days. I am currenty waiting for a phone call from their service dept. who just received my EL's today. I've never needed to use the warranty on my binos, but have always heard great things, actually I don't think I've heard anything bad. BUT, this repair job is going to put that "supposedly" great service to the test.....it's pretty bad and was actually my fault so we'll see :(

I may have to buy those new Nikons after all cause I dang sure can't afford another pair of EL's :P

So, Jim, youre going to tell us all about how you need the warranty blah, blah, blah and not tell us what the heck you did?! Come on man! Thats almost as bad as posting a succesful hunting story without pictures! POINTLESS!!!!!

:D

So, Jim, youre going to tell us all about how you need the warranty blah, blah, blah and not tell us what the heck you did?! Come on man! Thats almost as bad as posting a succesful hunting story without pictures! POINTLESS!!!!!

:D

NOPE. Ain't gonna say...don't ask, too embarrasing..... actually wasn't MY fault really, but I will say the right barrel was "crushed" right where the Swaro logo is. The lady in the service Dept. didn't sound too optimistic when I told her what was wrong with them. :( Hopefully since we have an outfitter account and help keep them in business :P maybe they will have mercy on me :rolleyes:

This is fun, I usually don't get wrapped up in debates, especially when it's pretty much about personal preferance. BUT, I have come down the same path as many of you and like Hunter X stated, I started with cheap "hand-me-downs" from Pops. I remember the first day Pops brought home a big ol' pair of Steiners, and I REALLY remember the day when I stole them and claimed them as MINE! BUT.....then he came home with a pair of Swarovski SLC's.....WOW! Those were the clearest, brightest binos ever and they made my Steiners feel like nothing more than an over-rated pair of Tasco's :ph34r: That's where it started for me, and after now owning a pair of 8x50 SLC's, 8.5x42 EL's, 15x56 SLC's and the 80HD STS spotter.......I find more game than ever before. Is it because of the glass I'm using? I don't think the fact that I use Swarovski is the main reason for finding more game, it's more about knowing where and when to glass certain places in certain terrain at certain times of the year........for ME, my Swaro's just make it easier and more comfortable to spend enough time behind em' to get the job done. This is just my epxerience and thoughts after using several brands for extended periods of time, I can sit behind my EL's from sun-up to sun-down and my eyes have never felt fatigued like they have with "other" brands......now my butt is a different story all together :lol: :P

All I tell anyone is to buy the best binocular you can afford and if you can't afford em', then sell somethin' or steal em', you can't kill em' if ya can't find em'! ;)

Jus my two pennies.

I most definitely agree. I tried out a pair of minox before I got my Nikon. When I first looked through them I thought wow these are nice but after awhile I couldn't get comfortable with them because the eye cups didn't fit my face well. The optics on the minox were great but I constantly felt distracted while looking through them. I know a lot of people use Minox that don't have this problem. I too feel being comfortable while glassing is a huge factor for being a better glasser because you can spend more or all of your effort and energy into finding game instead of being distracted by uncomfortable binos constantly jabbing you in the corner of your eye socket.

Jus my two pennies.

I agree 100% with what you said

Jimmy, I am going to put Nikon to the test real soon on the no-fault warranty. I bought a pair for my son that keeps loosing the eye cup. My plan is to run over them with my truck and then send em back. I will post a picture of the binos before I send them in. If they can't fix them, for ten dollars and shipping Nikon will send me a new pair. If you are the original owner of the Swaros and filled out the warranty card, I can't imagine why they wouldn't warranty them for you. I was kidding about the Vortex. David

I love Nikon products. I chose to buy a fieldscop T-3 with ED glass and love it. But I have to say that when it comes to binos, I stick with Leicas or Swaros. I don't doubt that the glass is clear and bright on the Nikons, but there is so much more to it than that. Someday there might be a true contender that gives the true top tier binoculars a run for their money, but I haven't seen it yet. What I have seen over that past several years is several binocular companies introduce products that claim to be as good, but over and over again I have been disappointed. You can't go wrong with the time tested Leicas and Swaros.

Jimmy, I am going to put Nikon to the test real soon on the no-fault warranty. I bought a pair for my son that keeps loosing the eye cup. My plan is to run over them with my truck and then send em back. I will post a picture of the binos before I send them in. If they can't fix them, for ten dollars and shipping Nikon will send me a new pair. If you are the original owner of the Swaros and filled out the warranty card, I can't imagine why they wouldn't warranty them for you. I was kidding about the Vortex. David

Davey, I have heard nothing but good things about Nikons warranty, I wouldn't doubt you get a new pair in the mail. As for Swaro's warranty, I again have never heard anything negative, all positive, and I personally have never heard of Swarovski NOT fixing their products....regardless of fault! I had a client last year that decided a good place for his rifle was under my Rhino! His Swaro scope was crushed similar to my EL's and Swaro replaced his scope for free.......and he told them he dropped the gun, so it was his fault. I just pray they do the same for me :(