25 minutes ago, Bill@roofer said:

Good luck

Oh not me, but it’s there for every one to see forever 

All over in the outlying communities around Payson, 4 in the last couple days..

I’ve not hunted bear before, I am trying to understand the regs. Does the female harvest limit control whether the unit is open or not? Once that is hit they close it for male and female?

4 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

I’ve not hunted bear before, I am trying to understand the regs. Does the female harvest limit control whether the unit is open or not? Once that is hit they close it for male and female?

Yes the female harvest controls whether the unit is open or closed.  Each hunt has a female quota and then each unit has an annual female quota.  For example 23S is closed for the rest of the season and its closed for all bears male or female.

On 9/2/2020 at 8:02 PM, 654321 said:

Yes the female harvest controls whether the unit is open or closed.  Each hunt has a female quota and then each unit has an annual female quota.  For example 23S is closed for the rest of the season and its closed for all bears male or female.

To clarify for 23S, the annual has also been met as well so it is closed for the rest of the year and the remaining October hunt is a no-go..

1 minute ago, Ohthatguy said:

To clarify for 23S, the annual has also been met as well so it is closed for the rest of the year and the remaining October hunt is a no-go..

There is also an annual limit? They close it because it is hard to identify male vs female and dont want females to be shot? 

once my foot heals up I plan on doing some scouting, I’d like to hunt in october probably in 5b if open, but most likely not going to happen.

1 minute ago, bowhunter-tw said:

There is also an annual limit? They close it because it is hard to identify male vs female and dont want females to be shot? 

once my foot heals up I plan on doing some scouting, I’d like to hunt in october probably in 5b if open, but most likely not going to happen.

Yes, there is a sow quota for each hunt and an annual limit. As soon as the annual limit is met, no more hunts will open that year. I think last year 23S met the annual limit in the 1st week so the entire year consisted of 6 days.

Scroll down to the bottom page to find the annual limits.

Call the bear hotline @ 1-800-970-2327

Or online..  (I would call regardless of the info on the site as they don't always update the site info as quickly as they should)

https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/BB-HARVEST-TRACKING-20200904.pdf