Sign in to follow this  
AZP&Y

Shedding some light on the COUES bone pile

After spending the last 3 years collecting coues sheds {some bought some found} I decided to contact someone to put them to good use. I called Mr. Bill Bishop sr. with Antler Art in Lakeside. He is one of the premier antler artists in Arizona and the western United States. I described what I wanted and he proceeded to build me a custom one of kind coues lamp. It consists of 13 sheds, some which were originally browns and others that Bill was able to stain as a result of developing an incredible antler stain {through 15 years of trial and error}. The craftsmanship was evident when I tried to find the electrical cord which is intricately housed in the individual sheds. I thought the crab-claw was a nice touch at the apex of the lamp. I'm still looking for a lamp shade to compliment this work of art.

Here is another one of a kind masterpiece that Bill is currently work on: It is an 8(ft)x 8 (ft) custom elk chandelier... NOW THAT's A BONE PILE! It consists entirely of trophy 5,6, and 7 point sheds

AzP&Y

Doug

post-898-1214619370_thumb.jpg

post-898-1214619388.jpg

post-898-1214619400_thumb.jpg

post-898-1214619425_thumb.jpg

post-898-1214619433_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, I've been lucky enough to have aquired Bill's knowledge of shed hunting, honey holes and antler art! ;) U see, my shed hunting and antler art mentor was taught by Him, then Jason taught me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P

Small World Sometimes :rolleyes:

Thats a really nice setup. The only time I get to shed hunt is when I am actually hunting, but pictures like that make me want to

get out and search.

There is no accounting for taste.

Mike

There is no accounting for taste.

Mike

I owe an apology for the last post. Antler art has never turned me on - not sure why. But it would have been better to say something nice or not post at all. For that I am sorry. I know a lot of folks love the stuff and an artist is pretty screwed up if he's gonna sit back and post something that could be taken as disrespectful about another artist's work.

So, I apologize for - in one sentance - disclosing the bad morning I'm having at someone else's expense.

Maybe I'm just jealous 'cause I can't find big antlers like that.

My bad,

Mike

Hey man, it takes a set of nuts to apologize like that! Good job. I would rather have a pile of antlers hanging around for me to just fondel and rub and hold and molest. :blink: I guess thats because I had 15 or so big 4 point muley sheds that I found when I was in high school, I thought it would be "easy" to make a chandelier. Well, I ruind my anters trying. So I have respect for guys that can do that stuff.>>Jason

A couple real nice lookin pieces of work, Doug.

I had enough trouble getting permission to put a "dead animal head" in my house, you must have your boss trainded better than I do.

You got some great sheds!

Matt S.

Funny thing is, my wife, who is not into hunting, really likes antler art and furniture, go figure? Everytime we go to Showlow /Pinetop, she loves looking at all the log furniture and antler stuff. Maybe thats my que to take advantage ?

Sure are some nice horns there all glued together!

I know the shop your talking about up there and he has some nice work!

I owe an apology for the last post.

Mike- apology accepted. No harm no foul. After I PM'd you today and read the post I'm glad that we can talk about hunting and coues. ;)

I had enough trouble getting permission to put a "dead animal head" in my house, you must have your boss trainded better than I do.

Matt- it took 7 years but I'm making steady progress :lol:

I've got another Coues Shed project in the works... I'll post pictures when I get back from Alaska!

AzP&Y

Doug

Funny thing is, my wife, who is not into hunting, really likes antler art and furniture, go figure? Everytime we go to Showlow /Pinetop, she loves looking at all the log furniture and antler stuff. Maybe thats my que to take advantage ?

I have seen furniture made of antlers and it’s pretty good! In fact, I want to purchase one but it’s expensive though. My friend started to work on his furniture designs and he wants to do an antler furniture, cool isn’t?

Having attempted some "antler" furniture items myself, all I can say is that is some serious craftsmanship there. Like or dislike, that takes some talent.

Guess I am gonna have to mosy on up the road a bit and take a peek at some of that.

Thanks for sharing the pics, that is truly some Non-Typical work there ;)

Bill Bishop, the antler artist mentioned passed away last fall...Found at the base of one of his coues stands.... R.I.P Bill

That's freaking crazy I had not heard that. i use to fish against him in white mountain bass and would stop and talk to him on the January 27 hunt under the rim. He was full of great info and was just a good guy to visit with.