with dove season right around the corner I'm looking to get my 8 year old son a gun . So my question is what kind of youth shotguns are you guys using and .410 or 20 gauge ? 

3 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

410 single shot.

yea .. thays what I started with and loved it .. it was a borrowed gun so I don't have it anymore wish I did . Thanks for your input 

if hes a normal sized 8 year old 20 gauge in a rem 1100 thats what I started out with.  at 8 I was shooting competition skeet against adults, then I won one in a skeet tourny at about 8-1/2 still have it today.

410 is a fun gun to hunt doves with, but new shooters will get disgruntled easy due t the lack of shotgun time and way less pellets. . but shooting a 410 will make you quick and a very good shot over the years. and there alot of fun shooting skeet and trap with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Delw said:

if hes a normal sized 8 year old 20 gauge in a rem 1100 thats what I started out with.  at 8 I was shooting competition skeet against adults, then I won one in a skeet tourny at about 8-1/2 still have it today.

410 is a fun gun to hunt doves with, but new shooters will get disgruntled easy due t the lack of shotgun time and way less pellets. . but shooting a 410 will make you quick and a very good shot over the years. and there alot of fun shooting skeet and trap with.

I have a full size 20 gauge and its just to big for him . I wish he could hold id up better but its mostly to heavy for him . I have had him hold some yputh guns and they fit him much better.  I think i just need to run him down to sportsman's and let him shoulder some and see what fits him 

Yeah most shotguns are just a tad too big for shouldering unless there specifically youth. the 1100 (at least the older ones) I think they were called lightweights were made for smaller framed guys women and kids..

I have a 1100 12 made in 72 and my 20 was made in 67 or 68(honestly I forget which exact year but they were close and late 60's and the other early 70's.  anyway the stock on the 12 guage 1100 is mush bigger than the 20 gauge.

A single shot 20 might be to much of a kick for him so keep that in mind, usually once they kill some thing with it they forget all about the kick. A pump is usually just to long to cycle for a young kid not to mention the kick. My Daughter is small framed and she had trouble shouldering the O/Us but the 20 1100 almost fit her but not quite.

That being said The gun she liked best was a single shot Ducks unlimted gun(forgot who made it) in 20 guage 3" mag also 2-3/4 it has a hammer. she didnt like the kick  at 1st but once she got a few quail she said she never noticed it again. your best bet would be like you said to take him to sportsman and let him fit a few. if your ever up around cabelas let me know I have a ton of shotguns he could try for fit before you decide what to purchase.

If I was buying it’d probably be the Mossberg 510 mini bantam. 18.5” barrel and comes with multiple shoulder pads to add length as they grow.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

If I was buying it’d probably be the Mossberg 510 mini bantam. 18.5” barrel and comes with multiple shoulder pads to add length as they grow.

I just looked those up, those are cooler than crap.. and they have the Accu-Set chokes hes good for anything with one of those even clays

https://www.mossberg.com/product/510-youth-mini-super-bantam-all-purpose-field-50485/

7 hours ago, Delw said:

Yeah most shotguns are just a tad too big for shouldering unless there specifically youth. the 1100 (at least the older ones) I think they were called lightweights were made for smaller framed guys women and kids..

I have a 1100 12 made in 72 and my 20 was made in 67 or 68(honestly I forget which exact year but they were close and late 60's and the other early 70's.  anyway the stock on the 12 guage 1100 is mush bigger than the 20 gauge.

A single shot 20 might be to much of a kick for him so keep that in mind, usually once they kill some thing with it they forget all about the kick. A pump is usually just to long to cycle for a young kid not to mention the kick. My Daughter is small framed and she had trouble shouldering the O/Us but the 20 1100 almost fit her but not quite.

That being said The gun she liked best was a single shot Ducks unlimted gun(forgot who made it) in 20 guage 3" mag also 2-3/4 it has a hammer. she didnt like the kick  at 1st but once she got a few quail she said she never noticed it again. your best bet would be like you said to take him to sportsman and let him fit a few. if your ever up around cabelas let me know I have a ton of shotguns he could try for fit before you decide what to purchase.

I appreciate the info . I will let you know if I'm ever up that way .

7 hours ago, Delw said:

I just looked those up, those are cooler than crap.. and they have the Accu-Set chokes hes good for anything with one of those even clays

https://www.mossberg.com/product/510-youth-mini-super-bantam-all-purpose-field-50485/

I have actually been looking at them they are nice.  I have had him shoulder one and he could actually do it .. hopefully they have some because everywhere I looked online they were sold out