Sign in to follow this  
high rise hunter

Trail Cameras a violation in the Coronado NF??

So I checking cams and saw this letter attached to a trail camera. It wasn't my camera, I had one hung about 40 yards away without a letter attached. Has anyone ever seen this or heard of trail cameras being a violation of law in the Coronado NF? 

IMG_1916.thumb.jpg.38b0cea184791f1203b4561d582ec182.jpg

In short the letter says: Trail cameras are a violation of law in the Coronado national forest and will be impounded. Owners can regain possession by contacting Captain Cheri Bowen and pick up their personal property in Tucson after paying a fine. 

Man if you guys have cams where Coronado officers can find them then they must be pretty dang close to a road. Or somebody gave your guys' location up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Once checkin a cam on a well known water and this forest guy caught me there. Had a problem with me since somene left a pile of corn there and he assumed it was mine. I was like yeah ya know baiting is legal right? Short little pud was like oh we can call game and fish right now all cocky like. Well he looked stupid and i was right. Of course this was before they outlawed baiting. 

Point is, since he couldnt nail me on the corn which wasnt mine anyway he said he could site me for the cam but followed with but since we do it ourselves too ill let you go. 

Oh gee thanks ricky...  anyway he did say if you secure it via a screw they prefer an aluminum screw not steel just in case it breaks off inside and potentially catches on a chainsaw someday.  Point is, any property left can be considered abandoned but since game and bnb fish and dorest service does it i wouldnt be that  worried. Just move it someplace better. 

• Like 1

Stuff like this drives me nuts. Just like people that take trail cameras or say taking trail cameras is legal by saying it's "abandoned property". Do you have any idea how hard that is to prove?  You have to be able to prove without a doubt that nobody visited the camera for 72 consecutive hours. That's impossible without a multiple person shift.

Even another trail camera won't work because I can visit it and never physically touch it

• Like 1

I guess I wasn't worried about getting in trouble so-to-speak just thought it was strange as I wasn't aware of any such laws. Business as usual regarding trail cams as far as I'm concerned.

They gave a  poacher that is also a camera thief a job that he would be good at so he can pay restitution. 

• Haha 1

Don't want you invading the privacy of illegals and traffickers.

• Haha 1