Sign in to follow this  
weldor

Unit 22 south cow?

No idea on specific spots, but I know if I had an October cow tag in an unfamiliar unit that I would try to get up there a week or two prior to listen for bugles.   Cruise around at night and early morning to various spots and listen for bugling elk.  Easy way to locate general locations from a distance.  Not a slam dunk, but there is a pretty fair chance that the elk will be int he same general spots during your hunt.

Good luck!

• Like 1

The region around Zane Grey's Cabin is a good place to start. The original location, of course.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Edge said:

The region around Zane Grey's Cabin is a good place to start. The original location, of course.

I think that's in 22 north

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dusty said:

I think that's in 22 north

Thanks Dusty, you might be right, thought it was off FR414 not near Tonto Bridge.

Also try FR441, Marysville Hill

I don't know that area nearly as well as most on here, but I hunted it for Coues last year and saw elk in 2 different areas. First was south west of Doll Baby Ranch along Pole hollow canyon. That's into the Mazatzal wilderness, the other area was due east of the Jim Jones shooting range. 

Good luck

I’ve had good luck in the Bear Flat area ... In the draws/canyons behind the cabins. I’m in elk almost every day I’ve worked that area. 

I've seen elk on the hilltops where the forest service thinned the trees on either side of the 87 below payson. You could also hit dollbaby road and the roads that peel off to the south of it. Just don't shoot one on the north side of the road😉