Red Rabbit

18A Antelope

Great job Doug, great pics.

Love that funky forward jester buck, very cool. Unless I found some monster that'd be the one I'd be after, I love those cool looking weirdos.

Good luck, have fun!

See any elk Doug. Great pictures hopefully you find the one you want when the hunt starts.

Keith,

I saw a few cow elk in the headlights while I was winding through the PJ on the drive from the highway to the open flats. I did not hear any bugling that night.

RR

Awesome pics and story as always Doug! I too saw those darn "feral land rapers", I was thinking they were put there as part of that "last chance" deal for old or unwanted horses? I know there is a ranch area somewhere close that does that. Did Butters mention about the "Badger Noodling" incident? :ph34r:

BTW........Court Jester would be my #1 target buck without question, that is the neatest characteristic I think a 'loper can have and is very rare! Best of luck! JIM>

Jim,

He did mention about recently getting a badger thaat was checking on PD holes, but nothing about having to grapple him out of a hole like a catfish.

RR

Yeah.....it is a long, fairly embarrasing story, but i can now say I've gone "Badger Noodling". If I would have stayed an extra day I would have finally got to meet ya! Had to go babysittin' though, but was a nice break chasin' goats.......and those stinkin' badgers :ph34r:

Casey,

I wish Jester had better prongs and more mass. He is a somewhat different character. I will see what is seen and transpires this weekend during the muzzy hunt. There are a couple more bucks I would like to see that have been seen by others.

RR

Great pics and stories.....did you actually get up past Pica Camp there in 10? I love that area up there, such diversity.....bad day doing one thing, go find a prarie dog......or a coyote or a badger.....would love to hear about Badger Noodling...sounds like something that could be challenging.

Thanks for the fun pics.......makes me want to quit my job and become a full time hunting bum.....

September 6 & 7 was the last weekend before my rifle antelope hunt starting on the 12th. It was a combination scouting trip and being a spotter for Shawn, a muzzleloader hunter, and mutual friend Jim. A prime goal was to locate a heart shaped buck that has been seen a couple of times near a treeline. I did locate a heart shaped buck that looked similar to what Jim and Shawn had on video, but it did seem as large as the one they had seen on a previous trip. It was with the rearward swept buck I had photographed last week, and was also with a large number of does and the squiggly buck from my first trip.

18AantelopeScouting9-6-08001.jpg

Shawn and Jim put a stalk on the rearward swept buck and got within 250 yards, but did not think they wanted to shoot him.

That afternoon they went to another part of the unit and I went to a basin I had not been to before. I saw a small buck which some other hunters had seen lose a fight to a larger buck. Since they had a muzzy hunter hunting the larger buck, I talked with them for 30 minutes and then drove back out. This will be a place to check the morning before my season to see if one of the big buck remain. Shawn and Jim in the other part of the unit found a massive buck, but came back to camp empty handed after the sun set on Aubrey Cliffs above Pica Camp, as viewed from our camp.

18AantelopeScouting9-6-08013.jpg

Sunday morning broke with a few clouds in the eastern sky.

18AantelopeScouting9-6-08020.jpg

With the morning sun low behind the back, antelope on the flat below stood out well in the binoculars.

18AantelopeScouting9-6-08027.jpg

18AantelopeScouting9-6-08023.jpg

After another unsuccessful stalk where Shawn and Jim trailed a herd for a couple of miles with the use of a cow decoy, We returned to camp to regroup and head to where another buck had been seen earlier.

The flat had a small sample of what should be good BBQ.

18AantelopeScouting9-6-08082.jpg

Shawn and Jim were able to close within 150 yards of this nice buck and his does. Shawn's TC muzzleloader roared once this afternoon.

18AantelopeScouting9-6-08056.jpg

And of course, Arizona sun closes out another fine weekend.

18AantelopeScouting9-6-08085.jpg

Doug~RR