Sign in to follow this  
eddielasvegas

Elk Hunt Starts in Two Days...

...in 18A.  Pretty durn excited to finally be leaving in the a.m.

I have almost 3 weeks off over this 5 week hunt to fill my "Any" tag.

Rather determined to make it happen this year after last year's less than desirable outcome. 

Eddie

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, afirsttimer08 said:

Good luck! Any updates?

Yes and my apologies for no update until now.  The short version:  Bupkis with the weather and elk activity both being bad.

Thu./Fri./Sat. a.m/ was mild but crazy windy.  Sat. p.m. and after was cold, windy and snowy and not a good time to be tent camping in spite of having a Kodiak and a Mr. Buddy.

No elk activity to be seen.  I did hear elk a couple nights and saw fresh scat. I ran into 3 others hunters while there and they said the same thing.  I came back early since it was so bad.

I will be back out there later this month to try again.

On an unrelated note:  no more solo hunts after this one is over.  # 1 reason is boredom hands down.

I will update this thread after my next hunt (probably the end of this month).

Eddie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eddielasvegas said:

Leaving early tomorrow to try again in 18A.  Scheduled to return Dec. 1st.

Also, picked up an OTC lion tag on the chance I see one.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Eddie

Good Luck, on both accounts.

Well folks, got back late yesterday afternoon and I'm sorry to report there was not an elk to be seen by me or my trail cams.

I'm very thankful my family does not depend on my hunting skills to eat.  😀

I did find this about 75 yards behind my camp.   At least a couple thousand years old (the arrowhead, not the quarter) if the Interwebz is right.  Man, life was hard back then is all I could think of.

I did see a squadron of javelinas at the local water hole, but that was it and I hunted it everyday.  I am not counting the endless birds that used it.

My trail cam picked up a mule deer one day, but activity was beyond light for the 3+ days they were out there.

Eddie

arrowhead.jpg

• Like 6

Eddie, I grew up in pa and was basically enamoured by the Indians and Buffalo as a little boy. Always wanted to find an arrowhead since i was young. Finally found my first on a very low success elk hunt years ago just like you.  If you ask me, that is one he'll of a consolation prize.  Sorry you didn't get to fill the freezer,  but congrats on your awesome find.  

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

Eddie, I grew up in pa and was basically enamoured by the Indians and Buffalo as a little boy. Always wanted to find an arrowhead since i was young. Finally found my first on a very low success elk hunt years ago just like you.  If you ask me, that is one he'll of a consolation prize.  Sorry you didn't get to fill the freezer,  but congrats on your awesome find.  

Thanks CK and I agree 100% that it adds some kewlness to the hunt.  I was thrilled to find it.

I leave Sat. early for my last attempt to fill my elk tag (and maybe find another arrowhead 😄 ) this season.  The forecast looks good too which is always a plus when solo hunting.

Eddie

3 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

Thanks CK and I agree 100% that it adds some kewlness to the hunt.  I was thrilled to find it.

I leave Sat. early for my last attempt to fill my elk tag (and maybe find another arrowhead 😄 ) this season.  The forecast looks good too which is always a plus when solo hunting.

Eddie

So do you still live in Vegas? I used to live there, worked at the stardust before they blew it up.  Anyhoo, If so member here VegasMike I've met and is a very personal and easy to get along with dude (also from vegas).  He may be interested in teaming up with you if he has time.  

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

So do you still live in Vegas? I used to live there, worked at the stardust before they blew it up.  Anyhoo, If so member here VegasMike I've met and is a very personal and easy to get along with dude (also from vegas).  He may be interested in teaming up with you if he has time.  

Just love Vegas, but do not live (in Scottsdale now) there,  If I did, I'd live in a van down by the river I'd be so broke.  🤑

Eddie

• Haha 1