I’m just starting to get into reloading, haven’t done it yet.  But, does anyone have a suggestion as to a 12g wad for 000 buck?  As a kid back East I use to hunt with 3” 000 buck for deer.  I can’t find it anymore, so I was looking into reloading my own.  Then this ammo shortage hit and can’t even find 2 3/4” 00.  So might be time. 

The sad thing is even finding reloading components right now is about impossible, making it hard to get into reloading right now. I would get a shotshell reloading manual and start reading up, it should have a section on buckshot loads with information on wads depending on the hull length and the weight of the payload.

Thanks for the in put. Before the Covid, I had bought a Lee 12g reloader press, 200 209 primers, and powder.  I have a lot of hulls (hi-brass).  I have an order for 000 shot (not in yet). The wads (and load data) is what I’m missing.  I think?  

Do what AZ Free Man said, get a manual and read up. You say you have a bunch of spent hulls already, if they are all the same hull great, if not, sort them. Hulls, even the same mfg., need to match even if all are high base. Make sure you get a manual that lists the specific hull or hulls you will reload. When reloading for shotguns you must follow the manual, don’t make any changes in hulls, wads or powder

2 hours ago, Bpursell said:

Thanks for the in put. Before the Covid, I had bought a Lee 12g reloader press, 200 209 primers, and powder.  I have a lot of hulls (hi-brass).  I have an order for 000 shot (not in yet). The wads (and load data) is what I’m missing.  I think?  

The wads went by the type of hulls your using as well. I did buckshot many many years ago for 12s and 20's picking out the correct wad for me was always a problem , so I usually called Dad. kinda Embarrassing cause I been shotgun loading since I was 7 and I still get confused on wad types. Dad had me use paper/cardboard wads with a buffer back in the 80's and  90's they patterned the best.

I'll look as I may have a paper for different buck shot wad types powder charges and buffer type. I have some shotgun books buck back then didnt find much info on buckshot.. I am sure if you look on the net there is something.

• Like 1

So, I opened the reloader today to look for a manual, not much there (Few charts)  but will look online for one.    But from what I’m getting here, it’s more important to match wad to Hull and not wad to shot.  

soon as this part fionishes up I'm heading home and will get some more info.1. I didnt find much last night when I looked

Loading buckshot is a bit more complicated than regular shot.  Here's some basic info for loading buckshot. I've been reloading with buckshot for the last 40 plus years. You will need a buffer if you want to shoot a good even pattern. The buffer also prevents shot deformation. Damaged or flattened shot doesn't fly as far, as long, or as straight as round shot.  Ballistic products makes a buffer #47. You will also need a reloading scale to weigh the pellets and the buffer. A 1 1/2 oz. load should weight 1 1/2oz with buffer and pellets. You'll have to fill a wad with pellets and buffer and then weigh it. Choose a 3 or 4 petal wad to keep the shot together as long as possible for maximum range. It also offers more protection for the shot than a multi petal wad like a Windjammer. Hopefully your shotgun has a modified choke which is the best choke for buckshot. You'll need a shotgun reloading manual to find the load that works for your components. Here's some info on the number of buckshot per ounce. Triple OOO 6 pellets per ounce, OO 8 per ounce, and O 9 per ounce. Lyman makes a great shotgun reloading manual.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

Loading buckshot is a bit more complicated than regular shot.  Here's some basic info for loading buckshot. I've been reloading with buckshot for the last 40 plus years. You will need a buffer if you want to shoot a good even pattern. The buffer also prevents shot deformation. Damaged or flattened shot doesn't fly as far, as long, or as straight as round shot.  Ballistic products makes a buffer #47. You will also need a reloading scale to weigh the pellets and the buffer. A 1 1/2 oz. load should weight 1 1/2oz with buffer and pellets. You'll have to fill a wad with pellets and buffer and then weigh it. Choose a 3 or 4 petal wad to keep the shot together as long as possible for maximum range. It also offers more protection for the shot than a multi petal wad like a Windjammer. Hopefully your shotgun has a modified choke which is the best choke for buckshot. You'll need a shotgun reloading manual to find the load that works for your components. Here's some info on the number of buckshot per ounce. Triple OOO 6 pellets per ounce, OO 8 per ounce, and O 9 per ounce. Lyman makes a great shotgun reloading manual.

cool info

I couldnt find any of my Dads old notes.

Found a shitpot of New brass I didnt know I had though still in bags too.

4 hours ago, L Cazador said:

PM me if you need further help. 

I might do that also if you dont mind. I have to find some bags of #4 buckshot 1st. I only have 2's 4's 6's 7-1/2 and 9. Thought I had a small tin container of #4 laying around but havent found it yet.

On 12/6/2020 at 5:05 PM, L Cazador said:

PM me if you need further help. 

Thank you and the others for the help.  Looking for a good manual now.