Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

RV tank monitor and battery level system upgrade

Edit,

Want to replace the battery and tank level monitoring system from the cheap factory version.  Including tank sensors..

A buddy of mine who owns an RV shop said to use  two 6 volt batteries wired together instead of one 12 volt deep cycle. When I asked why, he said when you plug your trailer into your truck, the voltage in the back of the truck typically is less than 12 volts so you are not really sending much power to charge the trailer batteries when plugged into your truck. 

it’s what he said. I figured he must know what he is talking about as he does it for a living

• Like 1

Subject is confusing...I’m not sure what you’re asking. Are you asking about upgrading the monitor? As in the push button job that lights up showing how full the tanks are and the battery level?

24 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Subject is confusing...I’m not sure what you’re asking. Are you asking about upgrading the monitor? As in the push button job that lights up showing how full the tanks are and the battery level?

Yes exactly.

And the tank sensors. An all in one system that includes sensors for all 3 tanks.  Dam near remodeled the whole thing so i may as well fix the cheap stock system.

Folks on the RV forum I frequent seem to like SeeLevel. I think the big advantage is that it doesn’t rely on internal sensors. Any of the standard ones seem to fail either because they get junked up inside so they always show full or like my old one the wires get ripped off so they always show empty. 

• Like 1

For battery monitors I think a lot of folks just use an inline voltage monitor and don’t let it get below a certain point. This one looks pretty cool, but may be overkill or not terrible accurate looking at some of the comments. 
Renogy 500A Battery Monitor, High and Low Voltage Programmable Alarm, Voltage Range 10V-120V and up to 500A, Compatible with 12V Lithium Sealed, Gel, Flooded Batteries https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RP5B5P7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Jlc4FbVTR89FZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Putting a new sensor in an old crapper tank doesn’t sound like fun.  

Not so bad if you go probeless 

Thanks big o.  The two I saw recommended was the record and seelevel.  Hopefully one of the places have them in stock down here.

Dang, called dang near every place in Tucson and no one keep the stuff in stock. Still waiting to hear back from lazydays,  parts guys don't like to answer the phone apparently.

You would think it's a popular upgrade and they would keep one or two in stock.

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Dang, called dang near every place in Tucson and no one keep the stuff in stock. Still waiting to hear back from lazydays,  parts guys don't like to answer the phone apparently.

You would think it's a popular upgrade and they would keep one or two in stock.

I’m not honestly sure it’s that popular an upgrade...the RV forum consensus seems to be “tank monitors always quit working and just don’t worry about it.”

14 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Putting a new sensor in an old crapper tank doesn’t sound like fun.  

Kevs favorite pastime...

Call State Trailer 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 12:11 PM, bigorange said:

I’m not honestly sure it’s that popular an upgrade...the RV forum consensus seems to be “tank monitors always quit working and just don’t worry about it.”

Yup. Pretty easy to tell when its full.....lol