Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Thoughts on battery operated chainsaws.

Looking at the DeWalt 12'" to keep in the truck to trim branches while diving off road. Have a Husky 20 Gas for wood cutting but wanted something smaller. Ryobi has a cheaper one though. Not needing to pinch pennies just want one that is quality and has good battery life.

If price is not an issue i would go with the dewalt.  Not to mention having a battery powered sawzall is awesome breaking an elk down if nearby a vehicle. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Riversnake said:

We use both the Milwaukee and Dewalts at my work. They work well, have to have the extra large batteries.

Thanks. Not looking to do a lot of cutting with it so regular battery would probably work.

I took down a 25' Palo Verde with an EGO, had plenty of battery left after cutting that thing into 3' pieces . Serious chainsaw.

We use chainsaws quite a bit at work.  Over the last year, we have gotten rid of every Stihl and switched to the milwaukee battery powered ones.  They have been pretty awesome with very few problems.  HIghly recommend them.

2 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

We use chainsaws quite a bit at work.  Over the last year, we have gotten rid of every Stihl and switched to the milwaukee battery powered ones.  They have been pretty awesome with very few problems.  HIghly recommend them.

Thats a strong statement knowing that stihl have always been known to hold their own. Interesting. 

Yeah, our tool shop was pretty busy constantly cleaning carbs and what not with our Stihls.  It's also nice not having to run a pull start from the bucket.  Simply pull the safety bar back and pull the trigger.  No warming up needed.  On some of our crews, we cut larger diameter poles and some of those guys have changed out the bar to a longer bar and longer chain.  Seems to have enough power to get thru plenty of cuts before having to recharge.  

3 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Thats a strong statement knowing that stihl have always been known to hold their own. Interesting. 

I was hoping you would chime in but I don't think Stihl makes a battery operated CS. 

17 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I was hoping you would chime in but I don't think Stihl makes a battery operated CS. 

They actually do, I know a few guys that absolutely love the battery powered Stihl. But if you have dewalt or Makita tools etc, might make since so they batteries can interchange? Just a thought. I carry a stihl gas 261 but it’s a pricey little saw. 

5 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I did earlier, you mighta missed it.  Stihl and echo as far as i know make great products.  I did landscaping back in the day in PA and those 2 brands were solid. But that is the 2 cycle world. 

As far as batteries i had posted i like dewalt. #1 name brand that can be trusted. But as stated Milwaukee is good too.  

Im a dual (or triple, quadruple) purpose guy. A good sawzall, impact driver and a chainsaw are all great to have on hand for any hunt.  Ive been carrying a 18v impact and sawzall but echo chainsaw.  This is a great way to limit space by eliminating the gas saw, not to mention trying to keep the carb clean. 

For what its worth, i like ryobi stuff for the guys. They dont take care of stuff and also i dont like the idea of having expensive tools on jobsites unattended.   If a bunch of crap is gonna get stolen id rather it be cheap crap. I keep the slightly better stuff with me.

33 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Yeah, our tool shop was pretty busy constantly cleaning carbs and what not with our Stihls.  It's also nice not having to run a pull start from the bucket.  Simply pull the safety bar back and pull the trigger.  No warming up needed.  On some of our crews, we cut larger diameter poles and some of those guys have changed out the bar to a longer bar and longer chain.  Seems to have enough power to get thru plenty of cuts before having to recharge.  

What type of shop? You mentioned poles,  power poles?

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

What type of shop? You mentioned poles,  power poles?

Yeah, Power poles.  I'm a lineman here in Az.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Yeah, Power poles.  I'm a lineman here in Az.  

Makes sense.  Thought that may have been the case. Any you guys have much experience with the dewalts?