Sign in to follow this  
Delw

25-06 action what to build

What to build? I have a old smith and wesson 1500 25-06 rifle. I believe its a howa action.

trying to figure out what to build on it. instead of a 25-06. its going to be heavy barrel gun , going to run a alum chassie on it. just need some Ideas on cals for a long action. even thinking of a switch barrel  just dont know yet if I can do it off that action. Did one off a remington action years ago 22-250 and a .308 which I copied off a gun smith friend of mine.

I dont know if a just heavy barrel .308 win is a waste on that long action or not as that would be my primary.

I guess theres always the 22 cheeta ;)

ideas?

3 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

Pick a caliber and ad Creedmoor after and you will be golden.

well my hair is long enough for a bitch biscuit. ;)

• Haha 2

I’ve been thinking about building a 30-06 Ackley Imp.  It seems like all I hear about lately is everyone going to something new like 28 Nosler, PRCs, or 6.5 or the like.  Those are boring to me now and to be honest, I now skip over most topics that mention them.  With the 30-06 AI, you get the old with the sort of new.  If it’s going to be a heavy barrel with a chassis, that could be a good combo.  And the 30 caliber bullets are still good.  What I’ve seen the last few years I have been considering one is that you can shoot the 168grn bullet a little over 3000 FPS with a barrel greater than 24” and the 190grn is up there too.  

You might want to consider the 280 AI.  I already have one as my main hunting rifle so that’s why I would go with the 30-06 AI.  My reason for the 30-06 AI is more novelty than practicality.  The 280 AI is much more practical.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Delw said:

Lance what barrel length for one of those? also twist.

My choice would be 26" with either.

6.5mm 1:7.5" twist for everything from the 140s at 3150 up to 3200, to the 150/156/160 at 3050-3100ish.

7mm 1:8.5" or 1:9".  1:9" will run you the 160 and up to the 175 Elite class of bullets great, 1:8.5" will spin the 180-184 better.  If you plan to shoot above the 180s, like the 190 LR Hyb or 195 EOL, go 1:8".  Will be slower MVs, but BC and kinetic energy/sectional density are great.  

I run a 26" 1:9" in my .280AI.  175 Elite @ 2986 suppressed.  Also have a very accurate 160 TMK load at 2996fps at a moderate load.

I have a couple 6.5SSs, the SA version of the 6.5-06AI.  Just like the 7SAUM/.280AI pair.  Nearly identical ballistics in far different packages.  Long and lean vs short and fat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saguaro said:

You might want to consider the 280 AI.  I already have one as my main hunting rifle so that’s why I would go with the 30-06 AI.  My reason for the 30-06 AI is more novelty than practicality.  The 280 AI is much more practical.

I was reading a piece one time on the different AI cartridges. Some of them offered a 4% increase over the standard case. The exception being the 280AI, when ask why offer the other chamberings, P.O. said his customers request them.

was looking through some of my loading books and theres always the 240 weatherby mag as well, same bolt face dia as the 25-06 and length is close to same.

280 AI looks good, I have a set of po akley books here I'll have to go through. looks like the 28 nosler round is bigger on the bolt face by .090 dia. so i'd have to open that up which might be a problem room wise

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

I was reading a piece one time on the different AI cartridges. Some of them offered a 4% increase over the standard case. The exception being the 280AI, when ask why offer the other chamberings, P.O. said his customers request them.

That’s true.  It’s pretty much up to our appetite.  When you compare a 7mm Remington Mag to a 7 RUM or a 6.5 Creedmoor to a 6.5x55 or 260 Rem or a 300 WBY to a 300 WIN Mag or RUM, all anyone can come up with is about 120 FPS or 4% of 3000.  But when a new sexy sounding cartridge like a 28 Nosler or 300 PRC hits our ears, we think that it would be a great idea to get one of those.  I’m just as guilty as anyone.  I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor because I just had to have it.  I also bought a 22K Hornet because it sounded like the right thing to do.  The 06 cartridges have always appealed to me.  I have the .270, 280 AI, 338-06 AI and 25-06.  The Ackley improved cases are attractive to me because you get a little more at minimal expense.  You aren’t burning 20 more grains of powder or modifying the bolt face or magazine or buying new brass to get there.  

On my rifles my big thing is accuracy, I like them to shoot close to one hole groups . the 25-06 I just cannot seem to tame no matter what load/bullet just like the 7mm Remington mag. all my 22 cals 243 ,6mm 270 300winmag etc I have no issues with. I have a never fired 25-06 in a ruger varmit mkII stainless with a laminated stock that I bought when they 1st came out years ago. made up a few loads for it over the last 2 weeks and going to try it out here in the next few days. if I cant get it tamed down so to speak or even workable its going to be something else as well.

this S&W 1500 25-06 I figured would be somewhat of a builder cause it doesnt shoot worth a crap and I think the head space is off anyhow, so it needs some work. I had saw that .338-06 it looked interesting as well.

At 1st I was thinking of building a .308 just really didnt want to use a long action for that round.

Always wanted a .257 weatherby have a 25 year old(hart ) barrel for it here in the safe/closet somewhere but its for a Remington 700 action its short chambered and threaded.

a friend has a 6.5 creed he loves it,  the 28 nosler looks sweet also.

I think the last barrel job I did was on my 700 varmit bdl in 22-250 or my old 40xb in 300 winmag those were like over 20 years ago. miss both of those guns but I was never attached to them anyway. that 40xb was my primary hunting gun heavy as heck but never missed no mater what range,

The 28 Nosler is a true barrel burner.  In my opinion, it is strictly a hunting rifle cartridge.  Barrel life is anywhere from 400-1000 depending on how hard you run it.  180s at 3150-3200, 195s at 3050-3150.  Elk crusher, deer destroyer.  Fast, flat, freight train.

.280AI will get you 1200-2000+ depending on your load.  2-3x the barrel life.  160s @ 2900-3000+, 180s @ 2850-2950+.  Burns up to 30gr less powder, shorter OAL fits in a LA easier, no bolt mods, far less muzzle blast and recoil too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Delw said:

this S&W 1500 25-06 I figured would be somewhat of a builder cause it doesnt shoot worth a crap and I think the head space is off anyhow, so it needs some work. I had saw that .338-06 it looked interesting as well.

I think the last barrel job I did was on my 700 varmit bdl in 22-250 or my old 40xb in 300 winmag those were like over 20 years ago. miss both of those guns but I was never attached to them anyway. that 40xb was my primary hunting gun heavy as heck but never missed no mater what range,

You have to do something with this rifle.  It being a Smith and Wesson, has a cool/unique factor to it.  I would do it just so I could talk about it.  My 06 type rifles are model 700s except the 338-06, that’s an old Ruger M77 tang safety.  With  Rugers, I can never get the trigger right but this one has a trigger shoe that helps a little.  Those are the poor mans trigger job.  

I love these topics and hearing about guns like the 40xb.  Most don’t even know what a 40x is.  My Creedmoor is a Remington 40x with a Jewel trigger and a Nesika style bolt release.