Sign in to follow this  
Delw

25-06 action what to build

I was going to add the 280 AI but Lance beat me to it. I love mine!

For maximum velocity i like 26" barrels, but anymore, I attach a supressor.  I have since started shifting toward 20-22" barrels.  A little more handy without the supressor and about like a 26-28" with one attached.  

1 hour ago, Saguaro said:

I love these topics and hearing about guns like the 40xb.  Most don’t even know what a 40x is.  My Creedmoor is a Remington 40x with a Jewel trigger and a Nesika style bolt release.

I had a turkey tag in 1963 and wanted to use a rifle. Only one I had was a Marlin 30-30. So a friend loaned me his 40X, heavy barrel in .222 Rem Mag. I about completely blew a tom to smithereens with it, but lugging that gun around was a royal PITA.

looks like its going to be a 280AI

now I need to find components Detachable Mags and Barrel, I'll worry about a trigger later as the one on the rifle is super smooth and crisp. from the look of things on the internet barrels take 5-10 weeks to get. so if anyone's got a blank about 28" long laying around let me know. 1:9 twist. would like a .900 or maybe a .800 at muzzle. ordering one wont be too bad as its going to take me a few weeks to machine the Chassie . I am thinking I could use some manufacturers box mags, as I couldnt find any accuracy international mags anywhere.

so any links you guys have would be cool and appreciated.

I'll remove the barrel sometime tomorrow After my Daughter heads back to Camp pendalton , then start trueing up the Action.

From what I read last night the howa1500 actions are super nice to use for building firearms.

20 hours ago, Delw said:

What to build? I have a old smith and wesson 1500 25-06 rifle. I believe its a howa action.

Howa has been around a very long time. Several decades back, I owned an M1 carbine knock-off made by Howa.  I never shot it, however, and traded it off for something more versatile. 

Post as you are building this.  I’m interested in things like this.  What things will you do yourself? It sounds like you have a lathe.  Will you cerakote it on your own?  If so, what colors?  I don’t think I will be able to help much on the build as you probably know more than me.  I have others build for me and all I can do is accuracy work like bedding and trigger work or replacements.  I dream about this stuff all the time and will try to add to the topic but it might be laughable at times.  It seems like PT&G has items you could use.

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/howa-weatherby-bottom-metal/1603-howa-1500-weatherby-vanguard-long-action-la-stealth-detachable-magazine-bottom-metal.html

28 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

Post as you are building this.  I’m interested in things like this.  What things will you do yourself? It sounds like you have a lathe.  Will you cerakote it on your own?  If so, what colors?  I don’t think I will be able to help much on the build as you probably know more than me.  I have others build for me and all I can do is accuracy work like bedding and trigger work or replacements.  I dream about this stuff all the time and will try to add to the topic but it might be laughable at times.  It seems like PT&G has items you could use.

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/howa-weatherby-bottom-metal/1603-howa-1500-weatherby-vanguard-long-action-la-stealth-detachable-magazine-bottom-metal.html

I will, post some parts of the build

Funny I was just there looking for reamers and saw that. I used themback in the 80's and 90's they make quality reamers, they even made me some carbide form tools for a  few jobs on my old screw machines back in the late 80's 90's when they were a  smaller shop they do awsum grind work

They have 2 reamers I am guessing the SAAMI ?

280 Ackley Improved CIP Chamber Reamer
280 Ackley Improved SAAMI Chamber Reamer

I got lathes and mills both cnc and manual, I drew (Cad) up a chassie based of the 2010 Remington when it 1st came out  back then only made a few parts. never finished it. I'm not into military firearms but this one was unique  even drew up the action and bolt and barrel mounting system Remington made. you can change to a different cal in les than 10 mins no special tools.

the bolt lugs are held on the bolt via a pin, the barrel is a quick detach held on by a nut its pretty amazing.  I met a guy on the net that went and took pics of every aspect of the firearm detailed pics. its actually so simple I am suprised that no one had it thought of back then.

No wont use cerakote will be hard annodized, I'm not one into paints but you never know.

heres a pic of the msr and xm

1200px-XM2010_November_2010.jpg

711ecfbc44aaa53c3f28b614397e2a85--sniper-gear-sniper-rifles.jpg

3 hours ago, Saguaro said:

Heres the action and barrel assembly, if you look at it its like an ar assembly. this is why I found it unique the barrels have a barrel extension like an ar-15 ie the part that the lugs connect to the barrel on.

it head spaces the same way. so you can have the different barrles pop the pin out of the  bolt change for the different cals then unscrew the barrel and put the new caliber on.. this is a plus for rifle builders that dont have access to broaches wire edms etc etc. or a big enough cnc lathe with live tooling , a guy with justa  hand lathe and hand mil and some knowledge can build one.

most barrel extension for ar's are broached, the broach (tool) alone is 3000-3500 for ar barrel extensions at least when I checked as I have a friend that has a gear and broach shop. The botch if I recall is about 3 feet long. everythign can be done on a lathe/mill with the exception of the broaching due to the amount of flutes and how close they are .

The 3 lug or even a 2 lug barrel extension can be made on a mill or lathe(not the best way to make something but it can be done.. thats what got me on the uniqueness of the Remington MSR. the chassie was just bad butt looking. back in 2010 the chassies alone were selling for anywhere from 4k to 7500 if you could find them. it took almost 2 years before they were released to the public. On one of my harddrive backs ups I got some good detailed pics from a internet friend.  if you click on the pics they should enlarge for easier viewing.

Basically one firearm shoots these three cal. that remington was offering. from a .308 to a 338 lapua mag.

Remington-MSR-Barrel-Swap-System.jpg

Remington_CSR02.jpg

MSR-42.jpg

MSR-25-150x150.1511996756.jpg

• Like 1

Brownells and Midway USA usually carry barrel blanks, that might be a little faster than ordering from the factory. Brunos has blanks also. Don't know if this one would work for you or not, from Brunos.

Screenshot_20201226-200250.png

looked at brunos last night They used to have a bunch of barrels  I'll have to take a cruise up there sometime. Brownells had the long lead times as well but no 28 inch blanks(to make a 26" finished barrel they were up to 10 weeks special order if I recall)  I didnt know midway carried barrels thanks, i'll check them out.

then you have Trophy hunter whos a idea killer, but practical and posted 25-06 got me to thinking maybe, I have everything and probably have a reamer to. I will depend on how my varmit Ruger shoots, didnt get a chance to take it out this weekend with my daughter, Daughter and her friend wanted to goto cabelas and shopping at the mall so they killed the day and are heading back to the base in the am.

I got time on the cal as I have to do the chassie and true the action anyhow.