archeryaz

Another one with the guys!

Had a great weekend pig hunt, with my sons and close friends. While I was deer hunting, I was able to locate several beards of Javelina. Opening day was a little slow due to the wind and drop in temperature. My youngest son Gavin got one shot, but was just a little to low. Gavin had never taken an animal with his bow, and was a little bummed about the miss.

Day two was much better weather, and we were able to glass up a heard. We were able to sneak in and Gavin shot low at 30 yards. I let out some loud calls on the coyote call, and he made a great follow up shot at 40 sealing the deal on his first archery animal. 

we made it back to the truck and moved to another area. Due to the weather warming up, we skinned Gavin’s pig to get him cooled down and on ice. As we were doing so, Gavin looked up and said “Dad pigs!”I looked over my shoulder and saw two. I ran back to the truck and woke up my other son Gage. Gage was able to grab his bow and after a short stalk, made a great 20 yard shot! 

I was able to grab my bow, and started after the second pig. About a quarter of a mile later I lost him. As I turned to head back to the boys, I saw another heard. 35 yards and my arrow found it’s mark! I couldn’t believe our luck! 

We headed back to meet up with our friends who were hunting a different canyon about three miles away, where we had seen another heard while deer hunting. We met up with Randy and Christian. We glassed for a little while, and turned up the heard. Randy and Christian were able to get to the pigs, and Randy made an awesome 42 yard shot. We went 4 out of 5, not a bad day!

0731455D-5374-4482-8BB1-6ABECFBB12BA.jpeg

8133A83B-6951-4776-AFE1-AD4152559D86.png

392712F1-E343-4C12-A425-BE7C57F2CA4C.png

• Like 8
  • Wow! 1

sounds like you have about three pigs too many to deal with, lol. Chorizo time?

• Like 1

Awesome! Congrats. You guys must have that area pretty dialed in to find that many herds so quickly.