I ordered 2 pounds of hodgdon leverevolution and 2 pounds of imr 7828ssc about 2 months ago. I opened a 7828 today and there was no seal. I checked the other 3 and no seals. I ordered through selway armory. Has anyone else experienced this?

13 minutes ago, Dano562 said:

This came up in a reloading group I am in. Guy called powder company and they stated all powders will now come not sealed 

I recently bought some from bruno's that are sealed, but no telling how long it sat in a warehouse.

I guess good luck to guys that say they will only buy sealed powder. Thanks for the response.

Yeah who knows. I do not like that they are not sealed. Who knows what you are getting or if the shop or store or someone skimmed some out of a "full" bottle. It doesn't make sense why they would this, but according to the guy saying he called they stated that it has to do something with safety during shipping.

5 minutes ago, Dano562 said:

Yeah who knows. I do not like that they are not sealed. Who knows what you are getting or if the shop or store or someone skimmed some out of a "full" bottle. It doesn't make sense why they would this, but according to the guy saying he called they stated that it has to do something with safety during shipping.

Yeah, makes no sense. You can ship loaded cartridges without hazmat, but not powder or primers.

Kind of makes me leary of the powder too. Thats why i asked.

2 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

I ordered 2 pounds of hodgdon leverevolution and 2 pounds of imr 7828ssc about 2 months ago. I opened a 7828 today and there was no seal. I checked the other 3 and no seals. I ordered through selway armory. Has anyone else experienced this?

If I were you I'd call Hodgdon or email them to find out, if you give them the lot# they will tell you whats up. to me its something to be concerned about, mainly Tampering and also moisture issues.

The other thing is sometimes the seals get stuck in the caps, ive had that happen in the pass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dano562 said:

Maybe the composition of new powders are more prone to offgassing?

• Like 1

I know this is not the normal current thinking, but I am old enough to remember when Hodgdon started out in business by buying surplus WWII military powder like 4895 and 4831 and selling it in bulk.  heck, I still have and use some WWII surplus 4831 that works the same way it did when I first bought it 50 years ago from Jensen's in Tucson.  I don't load near as much anymore, but I still have some quite old metal cans of IMR powders like 4064, 4320, 4350 etc.  that were first used a decade or more ago and closed with the metal cap screwed back on tight and it still works just fine.

Just to let you get an idea of how old some of this powder is, the surplus 4831 was about 50 cents per pound.  Some of the old IMR cans still have price tags of $2-$3 on them.

• Like 2

I have a few old cans as well and I still think/hope I have an old 700x 8 or 10 lbs black glossy keg that looked like an old bean can(the round rings on it) with the yellow label still on it. from the late 60's.

remember the old cans that were square and short with the metal lid? those were cool but they took up to much room on store shelves so the made them thin and tall.