Sign in to follow this  
TR0UBLE SH00TER

Tag transfer question for anyone with experience.

I was told by a  GW a few years back that I could have my wife build up bonus points and when my son turns ten she

could transfer any game tag she's drawn for to him. So we did that and now that he has turned ten and has passed

the Hunter Ed course I would like to enter her in the Elk draw on top of entering him for the youth hunt to increase 

his chances of being drawn.

On the AZGFD website it says:

• Transfer from a parent, grandparent or guardian to their minor child or grandchild. A parent, grandparent or legal guardian holding a big game tag may allow the use of that tag by their minor child or minor grandchild pursuant to the following requirements:
  • The minor child is 10 to 17 years old on the date of transfer;
  • The minor child has a valid hunting or combination license on the date of transfer;
  • A minor child less than 14 years old has satisfactorily completed a Department-approved hunter education course by the beginning date of the hunt;
  • The parent or guardian must accompany the child in the field or, if a grandparent allows a minor grandchild to use the grandparent’s permit or tag, the grandparent, parent or the child’s guardian must accompany the child in the field. In either case, the adult must be within 50 yards of the child when the animal is taken.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/tagtransfer/

I called AZ Game and Fish today to clarify if she had to be with him in the field and the woman said that my wife isn't

required to be there and that I could take him instead. So my question is, have I misunderstood the wording on their

website or is was the woman mistaken?

She wouldn't be able to be in the field with him during his hunt because we have a three year old to care for as well.

Does anyone have experience with tags being transferred to their children? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

TR0UBLE SH00TER

A parent or guardian has to be there, not necessarily the transferring parent. I have done this.

• Like 5

I interpret it as whichever person transferred that tag has to be in field with  the youth.  Keeps you from putting Aunt Maude who  has never set foot afield  and never will  into the draw to stack the odds.

38 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

A parent or guardian has to be there, not necessarily the transferring parent. I have done this.

Thank you for the clarification.  The wording on the website is a bit ambiguous. I wanted to here from someone has done this before. I would be with him.

41 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

I interpret it as whichever person transferred that tag has to be in field with  the youth.  Keeps you from putting Aunt Maude who  has never set foot afield  and never will  into the draw to stack the odds.

I think the point you made was a bit skewed because that's exactly what we are doing which apparently is allowed.

No offense and thank you for the response.

43 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

You can’t apply aunt Maude. But you can apply Grandma Maude or Momma Maude

• Like 2

Just now, CatfishKev said:

How many points does your wife have? 

She has three bonus points for Elk (if we would have known about the policy sooner she'd have 10), he has one bonus point.

I was going to put him in for 6A youth and a general cow tag and her for a cow tags. Any advice would be appreciated. We

are meat hunters only.

If they both happen to draw a tag we will donate hers to a disabled child. 

100% legal and its spelled out as such.

The parent or guardian must accompany the child in the field or, if a grandparent allows a minor grandchild to use the grandparent’s permit or tag, the grandparent, parent or the child’s guardian must accompany the child in the field. In either case, the adult must be within 50 yards of the child when the animal is taken.

1 minute ago, Delw said:

100% legal and its spelled out as such.

I was confused by the wording. I interpreted it to say that the same parent that donated the tag had to be on the hunt 

and within 50 yards. Meaning, my wife would need to be in the field with him. I would not have put her in the draw

under those circumstances.

1 minute ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

She has three bonus points for Elk (if we would have known about the policy sooner she'd have 10), he has one bonus point.

I was going to put him in for 6A youth and a general cow tag and her for a cow tags. Any advice would be appreciated. We

are meat hunters only.

If they both happen to draw a tag we will donate hers to a disabled child. 

If your wife hasn't done the hunter safety course make her do it or do it for her.  That's good for an extra point. Also buy point guard for your wife so if she gets drawn you can turn the tag back in and get her points back and your good for next year.  

As far as which youth hunt, I highly suggest do a hunt that has a youth camp for the kids.  If not, go with whatever unit you know best.

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

If your wife hasn't done the hunter safety course make her do it or do it for her.  That's good for an extra point. Also buy point guard for your wife so if she gets drawn you can turn the tag back in and get her points back and your good for next year.  

As far as which youth hunt, I highly suggest do a hunt that has a youth camp for the kids.  If not, go with whatever unit you know best.

Fantastic advice on the point guard! We all took the online course last month. When the field days courses open 

back up we will all attend one for the points. I'm not familiar with the youth camps but I will look in to it for sure. 

Thank you

Just now, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

Fantastic advice on the point guard! We all took the online course last month. When the field day course opens 

back up we will all attend one for the points. I'm not familiar with the youth camps but I will look in to it for sure. 

Thank you