Hey guys. I know there are a lot of people on this forum that use game trail cameras. I haven't ever used one but I am going to get into it pretty quick. I was wondering if you guys or gals would be interested in sharing your opinions on the best camera for the money? I am looking to spend up to $250 a piece. So, in your opinions, what is the best for the money?

Also, if some of you wouldn't mind explain a little bit on setting them up in the field. Maybe a small list of do's and don'ts, or if you're inclined to do so, be as ellaborate as you would like. I am just looking for some information here.

Thanks

For 250 you could get a scoutguard sg550 and a lock box. All you would need is a 17 dollar python lock, and you would have a tough rig to rip off. i got 871 pics of my last set of 8 AA's

For 250 you could get a scoutguard sg550 and a lock box. All you would need is a 17 dollar python lock, and you would have a tough rig to rip off. i got 871 pics of my last set of 8 AA's

I am expecting a shipment of Scoutguard 550s this week. These things are very small, been getting great reviews, and are 5 MP cams with infrared (no flash to spook game or alert people). So if you are interested in this cam, wait a bit and buy it from me and help the website a little. ;)

These look like great cameras to me. They will be about $200 and then like youngbuck said you can get a custom lockbox for them. I don't have them, but there is a guy on ebay that has them. Look slick (see link below)

These cameras are great as security camers too, maybe you have a boat out back or an ATV trailer or your home in general that you want to monitor. These can be hidden in a bird house or something small like that to be surveillance (sp?) for your home.

And here is the link to the security box you can get for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/-Scout-Guard-SG550-Sec...807301173r36133

Amanda

post-1-1217881113_thumb.jpg

were did you find your python lock from

I get mine from Lowes. They have changed in design a little but they still work the same.

Phil

I've probably said this a dozen times now, but it's worth saying again. The BIGGEST TOUGHEST locks won't keep your cameras safe from a theif!!! I've had cameras that were locked down with PYTHON LOCKS stolen. In fact, I once lost the key to one of my python locks and had to cut the lock with a pair of bolt cutters. Since I didn't already own a pair I bought the cheapest pair of bolt cutters I could find (about $10) at Home Depot. They sliced right through the cable lock with ease and I had my camera back. I'd bet money you couldn't unlock it using the key faster than I snipped it with the bolt cutters. It's that simple.

Even if you buy a super lock made of Kryptonite that superman him self couldn't break, a dirty thief will just use a saw to cut the tree down.

The only way a thief isn't going to take your camera is if they don't find it!

I appreciate the advice. I would like to support the site Amanda. How long you expecting them to take?

Now as far as set-up goes, is there anything to take into consideration? I will be cautious of location in regards to theives, however, does placement matter? Facing North, South, East, West..... High, Low etc. I would hope to get more pics of game and less of blades of grass or shadows. Any input on this?

Thanks for the help! Keep it comin', I'm new at this.

Yes placement matters. If they get direct sunlight they can have false triggers. In more open country I try to place them facing north. In areas with thicker vegetation or more mountains or ridges to block the sun just use your best judgement. The sun will reflect off blades of grass and water.

Good luck!

Look at the Leaf River game cameras--- They are a solid set up and very secure! I've had a great time with mine. You'll gat what you pay for in the long run.

Does the remote control screen show the pictures or does it just control the camera setting's? How long before you get them Amanda? I want one!

Cameras should be in this week. It comes with all that stuff shown in the pic (remote, cables, etc).

I don't think you can view the pics on the camera with that remote.

Amanda