azbow

wireless security camera info

I would like to get a camera or two, to monitor activity at the end of my driveway. It is about 150 yds from the house. I would like to have video and audio sent to my I-phone instantly when motion sets it off.  Are there wireless security cameras that will do this at that distance from the house (wifi)?      What about wireless trail cameras? 

I was at Costco today and there was a really nice flood light and wifi camera for $99 - no subscription fee ever.

150 yds is a good distance- do you have power close by? you could use a wifi extender outside (password protected) these are not costly - around $30 bucks - 

I think you will have the same issue (wifi signal) no matter what camera you use- not sure how strong the wifi signal is. at the end of driveway-

the Blink are also nice- I have (4) of these around my house - they operate off (2) AA battery and have great images and motion detection.  

There are a lot of camera that run off batteries (Blinq) but most need Wifi (unless you run a cable) -

can you get Wifi service at the end of your road?

Another option would be to have a trail camera with cellular- not sure what the cost is. 

When I was looking at cameras for my house a security installer said a wireless camera is for places that you cant put wires.  The wired system is the best.  I bought remote but, the alarm is not instant.  They are just like trail cameras, it takes time to notice movement, switch on and take a pic.  The range is also variable 25' or less is my experience.  Also they are geared to pick up on people not vehicles.  Alerts go to your phone where ever you are if connected to your modem.  The alarm is also not instant, just like your phone it takes a while to connect and make the call.  At the end of your road you may get alot of alarms from passing vehicles but not good pictures.

Your results may vary.     

Look at IP cams, powered by internet.  You can get longer lens and zoom features. Looking at these myself as the im tired of batrery changes in blink.

https://www.nellyssecurity.com/video-surveillance/complete-systems/ip-systems.html

Spent time looking at these and other options. Again, the cameras will be 150 yds from my house and I don't want to run wires or cables around the yard. 

Looking at wireless cellular trail cams but not seeing much dependability or good reviews on them. Anyone use them with good results?

Unless you can get a signal booster. Lose enough, the signal will be poor amd may have degraded video quality.

Someone said above the wired feed is best.

you can set up a CBRS access point which will connect the camera via your own pLTE network.   the distance and coverage will be significantly greater than wi fi.  you still need power for the camera.  probably cost you $2k all in for the network plus whatever you were going to pay for the camera.  One time fee...no mobile operator involved.  you can use publicly available spectrum

I setup a private LTE network in my house using CBRS spectrum and am running my iPad Pro on it (just for testing...I'm in the business)....but I can get a signal way down the street on my iPad whereas with wi fi it starts cutting our on the front sidewalk

• Like 1

Sounds intriguing, gonna look at  CBRS.