fdh88

Alamo Lake

Just now, Delw said:

Understand. I think its dependent on where you go on a particular lake and where the crappie hang out.

for example at barlett we used to fish where the marina is now back in the day right off shore. the best time for us was in may/ june  at night  3-5 of use would take 2 5 gal buckets park pour trucks at the wash take the 1/2 mile hike down the wash cast out a jig/bobber and in a few hours be heading back with most buckets filled. some nights were awsum some nights were slow.

Alamo was the same way for us. when we went crappie fishing from shore. in a boat we could catch them almost anywhere on both lakes but we mainly caught them while fishing for bass throwing jerk baits and cranks in feb march along any points all the way to the dam, in june july we mainly fished the trees middle back of lake from a boat with jigs and dropshot catching an occasion crappy Yes midday. if we took the kids we would drop minnows/jigs from side of boat by trees and have decent success. lots of guys were trolling for crappy in that area and doing pretty dang good. when we went out purposly for crappie in the summer, it was lots of fun a group from another machine shop would go with us as well. about 10pm to midnight they started hitting hard then they would stop and we had to find a different spot. it took us a few trips to figure it out. we always brought lots of KFC. tossing the bones over the edge. usually 3 boats. wed find the crappie off those points in the picture . then all of a sudden crappie got scarce and we started catching tons of cats. seems the chicken boats were drawning in the cats once cats came crappie left. we almost always had 50-100 fish night per boat. a few times we caught so many crappie you got tired of fishing well over 100 crappie per person at alamo. this was as late as 2005.

That huge cut by the dam on the northside of alamo was always good in march april when the water was up. all the other times it was just dead or at least for us we didnt catch crappie

horseshoe was usually few-march as well as rosy and pleasant at least for use.

Pleasant rosy and horseshoe have pretty much the same type of terrain, as well as alamo and bartlett had the same type of terrain. I only fished SC a few times but for bass.

not saying I am right or wrong just saying what worked for us as those lakes. rosy I cant catch a crappy unless I am spooning in the winter or trolling jigs, pleasant I mainly caught them while fishing for whites spooning and small cranks and when board trolling

I know you don’t expect me to read this novel..

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Went to alamo friday with the boys.  Only 2 landed.  all on jigs 10-15 ft.  Lake looked great.  We tried everything in the boat and was just tough.  even drop shotted out to 40 ft and nada.  54F by dang and 59 up river.  Will be there in a few weeks for a week and if weather stays warm should be great.  

756E6BBB-483A-4852-B87D-A8A6A06986F9.png

• Like 4

Nice.  this time of the year I like to dead stick spinner baits. Yes it works very well Ask Mr. Bass I might have done it with Larry out there as well. Larry and I tore them up one year in early march on Jigs. that was a fun trip

Edit: should have clarified, deadstick a blade means fish it like a jig, They will hit that faster then a jig sitting on the bottom

• Like 1

Here for the week and today was good.  Caught 28 bass in six hours.  Spent the rest of the day riding.  The cool down over the next few days will probably slow it down some but we will see.  

Yup. 30 degree drop in 3 days.  Sucks. What were u catching them on and were they moved up yet?

56 minutes ago, bigj23 said:

Here for the week and today was good.  Caught 28 bass in six hours.  Spent the rest of the day riding.  The cool down over the next few days will probably slow it down some but we will see.  

28 and no pics?

• Like 1