fdh88

Alamo Lake

4 hours ago, oz31p said:

You give directions like a woman 

and your complaining? lol

Seriously I dont even know freeway names/numbers in this state and I lived here for almost 40 years. but I know how to get everywhere.

9 hours ago, Riesop said:

😂 That's awesome, if they can't read those directions maybe they ARE women.

kinda a pain in the butt to get there and theres a ton of huge f'n rattlers during the crappie season. going at night sucks balls. had to quit taking the kids out there during the spring and summer due to snakes. mainly we went out that way shooting yotes toss a few poles in the back of the truck. after that I just towed the boat every time we went after yotes then fished off it.

Brother fished from shore for a few hours yesterday just West of Cholla, basically where shown on the girl map, and caught zero. Another guy with a boat pre-fishing for the crappie tourney caught zero.

One guy caught 5 bass out in 35-40' on dropshots while the another boat caught none.  

Site says water temp is 56 so I would have thought they would be moving up and in pre-spawn mode but guess not quite yet. But very soon!

53 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Brother fished from shore for a few hours yesterday just West of Cholla, basically where shown on the girl map, and caught zero. Another guy with a boat pre-fishing for the crappie tourney caught zero.

One guy caught 5 bass out in 35-40' on dropshots while the another boat caught none.  

Site says water temp is 56 so I would have thought they would be moving up and in pre-spawn mode but guess not quite yet. But very soon!

After this coming week of consistent weather the crappie bite should pick up considerably 

Crappie bite is best in april and may, in may start fishing at night all up into the monsoon.

Yeah you can catch them anytime but the best bites we ever had where in may and june on alamo

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Not my experience. Always seemed to be best in late February and March at San Carlos. 

We cheat and fish minnows and bobbers. One year we filled at ice chest every Saturday in April .... anchored in the same spot at Alamo 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Not my experience. Always seemed to be best in late February and March at San Carlos. 

Understand. I think its dependent on where you go on a particular lake and where the crappie hang out.

for example at barlett we used to fish where the marina is now back in the day right off shore. the best time for us was in may/ june  at night  3-5 of use would take 2 5 gal buckets park pour trucks at the wash take the 1/2 mile hike down the wash cast out a jig/bobber and in a few hours be heading back with most buckets filled. some nights were awsum some nights were slow.

Alamo was the same way for us. when we went crappie fishing from shore. in a boat we could catch them almost anywhere on both lakes but we mainly caught them while fishing for bass throwing jerk baits and cranks in feb march along any points all the way to the dam, in june july we mainly fished the trees middle back of lake from a boat with jigs and dropshot catching an occasion crappy Yes midday. if we took the kids we would drop minnows/jigs from side of boat by trees and have decent success. lots of guys were trolling for crappy in that area and doing pretty dang good. when we went out purposly for crappie in the summer, it was lots of fun a group from another machine shop would go with us as well. about 10pm to midnight they started hitting hard then they would stop and we had to find a different spot. it took us a few trips to figure it out. we always brought lots of KFC. tossing the bones over the edge. usually 3 boats. wed find the crappie off those points in the picture . then all of a sudden crappie got scarce and we started catching tons of cats. seems the chicken boats were drawning in the cats once cats came crappie left. we almost always had 50-100 fish night per boat. a few times we caught so many crappie you got tired of fishing well over 100 crappie per person at alamo. this was as late as 2005.

That huge cut by the dam on the northside of alamo was always good in march april when the water was up. all the other times it was just dead or at least for us we didnt catch crappie

horseshoe was usually few-march as well as rosy and pleasant at least for use.

Pleasant rosy and horseshoe have pretty much the same type of terrain, as well as alamo and bartlett had the same type of terrain. I only fished SC a few times but for bass.

not saying I am right or wrong just saying what worked for us as those lakes. rosy I cant catch a crappy unless I am spooning in the winter or trolling jigs, pleasant I mainly caught them while fishing for whites spooning and small cranks and when board trolling

• Like 1