Scholastichog

Hunter Safety

10 hours ago, creekhiker said:

I brought my out of state certificate (Wi) to my field day a few years ago, they looked at it and asked if I wanted it back.  Didn't make a difference to them if I had it or not.   Passed the simple course, get your point.

Doesn't the course for AZ still require a field day though?

That is the part I would rather avoid with 0 scheduled field days per AZGFD and no end in sight from this Covid restriction garbage. Especially with me living in Pima county full of idiots, the Tucson mayor already said she would keep the mask mandate and curfew even if the state gets rid of them. Unfortunately the Pima County board of stupidvisors is just an echo chamber for whatever Tucson wants down here.

I was more interested in whether I could submit my previous certificates over to the AZ G&F (how?) to get the bonus point put on my draw application.

3 minutes ago, Nuker said:

Doesn't the course for AZ still require a field day though?

That is the part I would rather avoid with 0 scheduled field days per AZGFD and no end in sight from this Covid restriction garbage. Especially with me living in Pima county full of idiots, the Tucson mayor already said she would keep the mask mandate and curfew even if the state gets rid of them. Unfortunately the Pima County board of stupidvisors is just an echo chamber for whatever Tucson wants down here.

I was more interested in whether I could submit my previous certificates over to the AZ G&F (how?) to get the bonus point put on my draw application.

I took my HE way back in the 80s in Iowa when the classes were first offered and required for anyone born 1969 and later.  I inquired years ago when I first moved to Iowa and, no, it doesn't count towards AZ bonus point.  It has reciprocity as being a valid course, but you have to take an AZ course to get it.  I know HE staff are offering the Bonus Point Field Day for adults in Phoenix.  Its an hour-long self-guided course intended for hunters who have been hunting at least 4 years (close to that time frame).  You show up, do some demonstrations, shoot a .22, and take the test.  If you pass, you'll get your bonus point for the AZ draw.  We need to start doing that in Flagstaff, so we can save class space for the kids who really need the in-person learning when we get back to that point.  We're hoping by this summer to be back teaching.

• Like 1

They really just need to do away with the volunteer deal. If they could make a few bucks from classes there would be a bunch each month.

2 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

They really just need to do away with the volunteer deal. If they could make a few bucks from classes there would be a bunch each month.

3 of my brothers are FS Instructors.  I believe they keep a portion of the class fees to pay for supplies, but not their time.  They do it because they are committed to teaching hunting morals & ethics.  Although I'm not a certified instructor, I've helped with some of their classes including range day.

Arizona does not require hunter education for hunters aged 14 & older, that’s why your Hunter Ed card from another state isn’t required or part of the bonus point program here inAZ, EXCEPT, if you are going to take the Nonresident Supplemental Course, the one day course that required Hunter Ed Completion from another state to enroll in the course. The only Team teaching that course is in Region III (conducted in Golden Valley @ the 7 Mile Hill Shooting Range).They do it in January and in April; however, not again until all the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.

The AZ Permanent Hunter Ed Bonus Point is a reward for taking the AZ Hunter Ed Course (either online or in a classroom) and completing our Field Day. 

Beginning in July 2021 (assuming no hiccups), there will be a new avenue to earn the Bonus Point in the form of a Conservation Course the state will offer online (for a fee $$$) that will not require travel to Arizona. The Conservation Course is hoped will alleviate some degree of the competition for class and field day seats that are grabbed up by adults keen to obtain the Bonus Point, thus freeing up spots for youngsters and new hunters that need those slots.

As of last week Tuesday there were 1743 youth who had completed the AZ Hunter Ed Course online and need the field day, every effort is going to be made to serve those youth first when we get back to holding events.

The max fee (a price mandated by federal PRA regs) that can be charged for the classroom course is $8.00 at the present time. Let’s say a classroom of 25 students = $200.00 gross revenue. Costs include .22 LR ammo @ 12 - 15 rounds per student, targets, bottled water for each class, ice, blood trailing supplies (red food dye and Corn Husker Lotion), demonstration supplies and ammo, paper, pencils/pens/markers, money order to submit fees collected back to G&F along with postage. This is a bare-bones of expenses in a typical 16-21 hour 2-3 day class. And doesn’t account for the cost of the manual ($5.00) plus the other printed materials provided by the Dept, nor the firearms, 3D targets, teaching supplies, and host location and utilities used during the events.

It’s not uncommon to have 8 different instructors involved over the course timeframe. Divide all that up into $200 & you can see it doesn’t add up to a profitable enterprise. The courses are a public service provided and paid for by federal and department aide and a wee bit of money collected in a fee from the students (far less than they would pay to see a 90 minute motion picture while eating a popcorn and sipping on a soda at a theatre) participating in the class.

it is not in the financial cards of the Dept to hire additional staff and pay them to provide Hunter Ed classes all over AZ, there just isn’t the funds available to do that so the program is stuck with us volunteers who do it because we see the need, get to give back to the sport activity and traditional values we love and because we enjoy it.

We’ll be back at it soon I am told and we’ll look forward to seeing young and older alike at the events.

• Like 2