andrewmilich

Black River Small Mouth

1 hour ago, Tanner W said:

I haven’t been there in a long time but I do remember buying the permit from both tribes, catching a lot of smallies and getting really sunburnt lol

Sounds like fun times.

Has anyone recently been in the portion of the Upper Black just above where it hits the Apache reservation? If so, mostly trout there or a mixed bag? Thinking of a small backpack trip into that 10 mile or so stretch from the crossing downstream until the Rez boundary. Any feedback appreciated...

16 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

Has anyone recently been in the portion of the Upper Black just above where it hits the Apache reservation? If so, mostly trout there or a mixed bag? Thinking of a small backpack trip into that 10 mile or so stretch from the crossing downstream until the Rez boundary. Any feedback appreciated...

I backpacked into it last year. Shoot me a PM 

I’m looking at heading down to the pump station middle of this month! Has anyone been down there recently and have a report? It will be my first time going so I’m looking for and grateful for all the information I can get.

what are you guys throwing and am I able to camp on the river? 

Where is the best place to get a permit for the reservation? 

Thanks in advance! 

over 30 years ago we fished it regularly....would slay the trout and smallies. would only only keep 1 to eat each day.  bears aplenty and buzz snakes.hardly ever saw a soul,those were good times

In regards to the pump station. The road does NOT go down to the river. You have to camp on top and trek a trail down and back up each day. It is no longer owned by Phelps dodge mining and is run by the tribe. The area is fenced off and gated to the housing area but a roasd is still there to the trail head. It was pretty trashy last year. Bets bait is live crawdads and Helgramites if available. Small spinners ,spoons or plastic grubs work also. Going for an exploritory black river trek on the white mtn apache side this weekend myself. Always looking for new river to fish!!!! 

• Like 1

Went on the WMAT side and googled a spot we have been trying to get to for years. We call it White Bluffs, between lost mule creek and georges basin creek. Took us awhile to find due to over growth on the 2 tracker road. Went to the end at the edge of the canyon and could see the bluffs. First mistake we let the river call us down there!!!! was about a mile down a canyon face with little to no trail. Finally got down to the water and its a long shear wall canyon with swift water and deep pools. Sounds like paradise right!!! Untill the hike back out. It was horribly steep and long, almost didnt make it out, and Im in pretty good shape I thought. OH the fishing was awsome!! Never again though

IMG_2270.jpg

• Like 4