Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Over the Counter Rifle Deer Tag Question

Both my draw luck and health luck (I have had to have a couple of leg surgeries this past year) have been pretty lousy recently. I haven’t been up in the hills for a while now and it’s killing me. By fall my leg should be in much better shape. So I have decided that once I fail to draw a deer tag again this year, I’m going to try to get an otc (over-the-counter) deer tag for one of the border units. I’ve never bought a left over otc deer tag so I’m curious to know how difficult these left over border tags are to get.

Do they sell out each year?

Do you have to get in line early or camp out to get one?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you are going to put in anyway, why don't you just put some of the hunts you are looking at that typically have leftover deer tags as your last 2/3 choices?

And mail in applications for leftover tags are done before walk-ins for leftover tags. You have send in an application unless you want to wait however many days until the leftover tags are available over the counter.

they always seem to be available for 2 or 3 days after the mail in's. 36b is fun!

they always seem to be available for 2 or 3 days after the mail in's. 36b is fun!

36b is one of the primary ones I am looking at so please elaborate on "fun". Good hunt or fun for other reasons?

If you are going to put in anyway, why don't you just put some of the hunts you are looking at that typically have leftover deer tags as your last 2/3 choices?

And mail in applications for leftover tags are done before walk-ins for leftover tags. You have send in an application unless you want to wait however many days until the leftover tags are available over the counter.

My understanding is that buying left over otc tags does not use you bonus points. Getting drawn for these as a 3rd of 4th choice would. I want to keep building my points until I get one of the "premium" units I have been waiting for.

R12-4-107 G. An applicant issued a first-come, first-served hunt permit-tag under R12-4-114©(2)(d) after the computer drawing does not lose bonus points for that genus, and a valid but unsuccessful applicant for a first-come, first-served hunt permit-tag remaining after the computer drawing does not gain a bonus point.

I'm planning on doing the same thing. I've hunted 36B several times as a left over. I still have not killed anything, but I've seen a lot of nice deer killed and I've always seen a lot of deer. The last hunt I saw over 200 deer in 4 days, all Does. The problem in 36B is there are people everywhare!!!! Call me if you want more info.

Adam

My understanding is that buying left over otc tags does not use you bonus points. Getting drawn for these as a 3rd of 4th choice would. I want to keep building my points until I get one of the "premium" units I have been waiting for.

R12-4-107 G. An applicant issued a first-come, first-served hunt permit-tag under R12-4-114©(2)(d) after the computer drawing does not lose bonus points for that genus, and a valid but unsuccessful applicant for a first-come, first-served hunt permit-tag remaining after the computer drawing does not gain a bonus point.

Makes perfect sense to me. I don't have any points for deer other than my hunter ed point so sometimes I forget about this.

36b has alot of private land i would go with 34a or 35b both have good amount of deer also have a good shot at a lion i see nice wt every hunt

Seems like less bucks especially of quality, are getting pulled from the 36s. Strangely there are more hunts and tags every year.

I'm sure I will piss off a lot of folks with the following, but this left over tag business has hammered the southern units. I think it adds nothing positive. I think any tag in a year for a specific species should use your bonus point balance. It allows people not to have to choose a tag or a bonus point.

I used to hunt and see one or two other hunters in my area, though there was a mule deer and whitetail hunt running concurrent. Now on a whitetail only hunt the hills crawl with people. Legal ilegal and Border Patrol. I think Game and Fish really needs to think less about the money and more about the health of our heards.