Sign in to follow this  
dpr64

Some good Coues or Mule areas for semi-handicapped...

Being a bit handicapped with bad legs, it looks like my mountain/hill climbing days are coming to an end and I will have to resort to low rolling hills and the flats... Any advice on good coues density in areas not terribly rugged? I am also thinking of changing over to mule deer (never hunted mule deer before) for the reason they live in the flats and those areas are much better suited to my walking ability... Any pointers on muleys in 33, 36b, 36c, or 36a or ?? I know all the unit info on the G&F website, waterhole advice, etc.. was just hoping to get some good personal advice firsthand....

Shoot me over an email or a message if you might be willing to share a crumb or two....

Thanks!

Email: dpr88@comcast.net

If it was not for these bad legs, I would not even ask as I would hike into more remote areas to set up and glass but those days have come to a crashing halt. Mule deer looks like a good alternative now although I love coues hunting and find it hard to stop...

Do you archery hunt or rifle? Ive only ever bowhunted for coues but a few years ago I switching d from spot and spook to sitting ambushes instead. The net result for me has been that I see a lot less deer on a given day but I get far more close encounters and a lot more shot opportunities. I guess what im asking is have you considered sticking with your preferred area but changing tactics instead of units?

• Like 1

dpr64, how about trying a mule deer hunt in 30B? Area around Tombstone airport and San Pedro river have some populations of mixed species just have to work the tall creosote n cat-claw brush. Nothing real harsh in terms of climbing. Only real issue is limited access but if you ask politely most private land owners would be happy to grant access. Good luck to you this fall.

Ernest

Crotalus made a good call on unit 30B. The flats, on the west side of the Dragoons are fairly easy to hunt. Certainly not as many mulies as years ago, but there are some vantage points where you could sit and let other hunters push the deer around? I have taken a few bucks down there over the years. It is mostly low rolling hills, and washes. There is a mix of both species in some areas.

Thanks for the input, the more the better! I do have both champ and the crossbow permits although I have not hunted with a bow for over 30 years... Mostly rifle hunting as I make so dang much noise clomping around it is hard be stealthy. Lately, I have been going up easy hills to glass the opposite valley but dang, some of those hills are getting a bit too rough to move up.. Distance is another thing, any good areas require a decent hike and by time I get somewhere good, I am spent! It is hard to make it back to the vehicle..

Thanks for the input, the more the better! I do have both champ and the crossbow permits although I have not hunted with a bow for over 30 years... Mostly rifle hunting as I make so dang much noise clomping around it is hard be stealthy. Lately, I have been going up easy hills to glass the opposite valley but dang, some of those hills are getting a bit too rough to move up.. Distance is another thing, any good areas require a decent hike and by time I get somewhere good, I am spent! It is hard to make it back to the vehicle..

Ive seen several deer including bucks go back and forth across Mr lemon rd during the middle of the day during the jan archery hunt. Theres plenty of places you could set up an ambush without hiking for miles, although you may want some help to help you pack it out if they take off down hill.

there is a very good population of MD back in the ABC areas. Terrain is much easier that 33 but here's the deal. Not a lot of good bucks. A lot of MD in the Buenos Aries. Easy walking, Easy glassing. Like catching blue gill.

I love it when people are willing to help another hunter less fortunate than themselves. Some of the people on this site are fantastic. This gentleman isn't looking for someones honey hole, he would just love to be able to enjoy a good hunt and to those willing to help I applaud you. Friendship and good deeds are cherished forever by both the recipient and those giving the advice or encouragement. Thanks to all that are willing to help others, you give me hope in the human race.

Thanks

• Like 1

If you are getting as loud and useless as me in the sticks, try putting a salt lick near a game trail and put up a blind.

Me and Mulepackhunter hiked into a unit yesterday to retrieve his camera. We were glassing up a big bull chewing his cud 500 yards out under a tree, when I dropped my cane in the rocks...Duhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Like 1

Some good mulies at Oracle junction in 33. Park at Lupes and walk across the street and start hunting. Lol. Terrain is pretty mild and you can get into Coues as well but there are a lot of hunters in there on the weekends.