Sign in to follow this  
hoghntr

**CATEPILLARS/cocoon pic 9/7**MOTHS RELEASED!***

Well dove season is here and so are the monster catepillars

I highly reccomend bring a few home till they hatch out. remember to bring a bunch of what you find them eating. these things become ginormous moths! kids will love it. Just need shoe box preferably clear plastic and dirt. also they are noise sensitive so if you clap or shout they will bounce like jumping beans!!!

Well dove season is here and so are the monster catepillars

I highly reccomend bring a few home till they hatch out. remember to bring a bunch of what you find them eating. these things become ginormous moths! kids will love it. Just need shoe box preferably clear plastic and dirt. also they are noise sensitive so if you clap or shout they will bounce like jumping beans!!!

Added cocoon pics and finished product pics of the moth.

• Like 1

My husband told me the other day that he couldn't believe no one had started a post about all the caterpillars. He says they are swarming all over in Superior. I have only seen a few.

I never knew about them being sound sensitive....cool...gonna have to try that out!

Does the creepy stinger looking thing on the back do anything?

My kids love this stuff! Both my daughters have taken over the dissections in biology because the sissy boys didnt want to touch anything. :lol:

Ya these things are craaaaazy! they were by sandra day oconnor high school today and road was just stained green and littered with little squishy bodys. I wish I could post the videos of me yelling at them and you could see them dancing! doing flips etc.. like 150 at a time if I shouted loud it was hilarious!

So many my feet in sandles were full of green guts cuz you couldnt avoid and if you squish they squirt on opposite foot. yukkkkk

Does the creepy stinger looking thing on the back do anything?

My kids love this stuff! Both my daughters have taken over the dissections in biology because the sissy boys didnt want to touch anything. :lol:

No, the horn is not a true stinger....they are harmless

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/enpl/bulletins/caterpillar/caterpillar.htm

Our house guests

1 is already digging his hole for transformation

we brought food from desert floor for them but they also like costco lettuce spring mix

• Like 1

This is how my summer started.....my wife and I water the flowers on main street here in town and I started noticing this buggers chomping on our flowers(maybe 200 pots) spent the next 5 hours picking them off the plants they were doing some major damage to the flowers......

post-2034-0-36986200-1409684721_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They turn into humming bird moths. Here's a picture.

post-736-0-14023600-1409693324.jpg

That tarantula picture rocks Nature Girl!

• Like 1