Coueshunter77

3 legged buck

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but not new to hunting coues but I saw something this season I had never seen before. I found a 3 legged buck torwards then end of December. About 3 inches below his knee on his left hind leg it is gone. The weird thing is he seems healthy. He didn't look skinny, he had decent rack and was even chasing does. My question is do you think this is a birth defect, caused by another animal, or was it shot off? He is over a mile from the closest road so I'm pretty sure its not from a car. The other weird thing is that I found him in an area I had scouted often and had never seen him before this December, and after the initial finding I saw him everyday I was out always pretty close to the same spot. Let me know what you guys think.

Most likely shot off. Sadly, I hear stories of it every season. Good to know they can survive it.

Poorly placed shot. Coyotes. Injury. Snake bite.

I have seen a few 3 legged game animals. They are tough, tenacious animals.

• Like 1

I have seen a few.. including a Doe around big lake who the year prior we had called G&F cause she was limping around the campground with 3 good legs and one with the bottom of the leg hanging looking like it was chewed up by a coyote.

I saw a 3 legged buck last year and I found him again this year in the same area. The first pic is last year and the other two pics are from this year.

post-4217-0-15216400-1454634546_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-21427900-1454634678_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-83821900-1454634739_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Someone needs to harvest them and help them out by doing so..Just my thought, Wonder how long they can make it with out Kitty's eating them. I know of one muley in Wyoming made 2 years that I know of.............BOB!

This buck looks very healthy. It is almost like his leg was photo shopped out if the photo.

Does not look to be slowing him down much at all.

• Like 1

Someone needs to harvest them and help them out by doing so..Just my thought, Wonder how long they can make it with out Kitty's eating them. I know of one muley in Wyoming made 2 years that I know of.............BOB!

Tried my best too. He gave me the slip all archery season. On the last day I found a bobcat 200 yds away from where he was bedded so I'm afraid they may be on to him already. I set a camera up in the area so hopefully I willbe able to keep a close eye on him till next season.

Tried my best too. He gave me the slip all archery season. On the last day I found a bobcat 200 yds away from where he was bedded so I'm afraid they may be on to him already. I set a camera up in the area so hopefully I willbe able to keep a close eye on him till next season.

I knew of one in 3b that had a missing hind leg. He was a big 3 point that I saw during shed season 3 years in a row. I also saw one at rosy years ago missing a front leg he didn't seem to have any issues getting around and rutting does.

Anybody try to catch a three legged dog or cat? They can run just as fast so I can certainly see the loss of a leg not causing any problems for a wild animal.

• Like 1