Pac8541

3rd annual fall in CO

The last 2 yrs I've chosen to hike and fish up and down the Dolores River Valley and its tributaries, with short detours to the Animas and San Juan. I've documented each of those here previously and shared the photos which I hope hasn't come across as pretentious. These specific trips are priceless for me and I thank God for granting me not only the physical ability to do it but also a loving and understanding woman who supports the spiritual nature of it. This year I ventured out a bit more, hitting Cascade Creek off the Animas and a smaller creek that was recommended by a guide friend in the area. Both were significant distances outside of my "home waters" but well worth the effort.

Day 1 I rode the train south out of Silverton and jumped off at the Cascade stop. I spent 4 days in that canyon covering a total of 16 miles and making some risky moves down steep slopes to tag the irresistible pools at the bottom. The exposure, environment, and circumstances made it epic: solitary, remote, and used as an overall strength test of my body following a shoulder replacement 5 months prior. Four days later I was hiking back out to meet the train back to Silverton and a move to the next piece of water. Catching the train was in itself epic after misunderstanding the schedule I was given when I bought the ticket. Barely made it, sh!t hanging out of my pack, no shirt on, and losing the lower section of a trekking pole in the process. Awesome show for the passengers... not so much for me.

Travelled through Ouray, Ridgway, and into Telluride where the town was filling up for another damned festival and concert. I've learned to avoid that town over the weekends in the summer and this one caught me off guard. What a cluster. Pitched camp at 10200 south of town and weathered a good storm over the weekend with lots of wind and rain. The supertarp performed spectacularly. Hit a couple more creeks/rivers including the San Miguel and Dolores but the best one by far of the whole trip was on a tip I'd gotten from a guide buddy in Telluride last summer. Gonna keep that to myself but it was exactly why I do this every fall: gin clear water, 8000+ feet in elevation, gorgeous cutties stacked in low water pools and taking dries like it was there job (I guess it kinda is).

Headed south through Dolores on Tues the 4th; still one of the toughest decisions I make all year. The only casualty this year was a broken tip on a glass 3wt. Thankfully it was a day after I fished that rod all day long. One day in the near future I'll be headed south to visit instead of the other way round. Terrific trip and one I will cherish for the rest of my life due to some unique details about this run that harken back to my youth.

Gear list:

Kifaru Argali pack, guide lid, and assorted pockets.

Kifaru Supertarp and annex.

Borah Gear Snowyside bivy sack.

Scott M884 4wt and F2 723 3wt rods.

Abel Super 3N and Ross Colorado LT reels.

Rio Light Line on both.

Firtslite Corrugate guide pants, Uncompahgre vest, Dobson boxers, and Triad socks.

Kuiu Chugach rain gear, Kenai jacket, and gaitors.

Black Diamond trekking poles.

Primus micro lantern.

DeLorme inReach Explorer.

Scarpa boots.

Wilderness Athlete drink mixes and Altitude Advantage.

1994 Jeep YJ with 260K miles on the original engine!

IMG_5107.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

• Like 9

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5207.jpg

IMG_5208.jpg

• Like 4

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5217.jpg

FullSizeRender-11.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

• Like 4

IMG_5267.jpg

IMG_5290.jpg

IMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5523.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

• Like 4

IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5477.jpg

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

• Like 3

Stunning, jaw droping!!!!!! I wish AZ had mountains like that

Beautiful pictures, looks like an amazing time. Thanks for sharing your adventure!