Sign in to follow this  
CATERPILLAR

Found Camera

I found a trail camera in 6B that has been broken from its straps. SD card was still in it, date on pictures was January 2014. there were 1200 pictures of a tree branch that were taken over about 3-4 days and then the card was full or the batteries died. looks like a bear removed the camera from its original location, teethe marks and broken latches. if any one is missing it PM me the brand and approximate location and you can get it back.

• Like 6

you know on some other site theres a lynch mob looking for you haha hope ya find owner !!

Why would a lynch mob be looking for someone who is returning a found camera. I believe the lynch mob is for the people that are stealing cameras.

• Like 1

I found a camera hung in one of the areas i hunt. It has been there for about 3 years now and nobody has checked it. Can't bring myself to pull the card. Wonder when the statute of limitations runs out? Haha

January 2014 might have just been the default date and maybe the owner never entered the correct date. Might just be a couple months old.

• Like 1

I found a camera hung in one of the areas i hunt. It has been there for about 3 years now and nobody has checked it. Can't bring myself to pull the card. Wonder when the statute of limitations runs out? Haha

After 3 1/2 years it runs out.

Maybe he's on a 3 year rotation of units and cameras.

But I agree, probably didn't set the date. I think my cams default to January 2014 too. Luckily all my cams are in 4b

• Like 1

As soon as it is put out it falls under the "abandoned rule" so don't worry about the statute of limitations.

Even if the date was incorrect, it was not in a tree, it was on the ground facing up, no sigh of any hanging devices in any trees around. Guess this could be a new way of using a trail camera. Take picture of the bottom of the animal. I do believe it has been laying out in the sun for awhile all the plastic is brittle and cracked. I have found many other camera in trees that I just leave there without looking at the SD card. either a person removed this camera and threw it or, I believe it was broken from the original spot by a bear, due to the teeth marks.

None of my cameras default to January 2014.

Just curious, why would anyone not use the correct date in their camera? Wouldn't you want to know what day a particular animals picture was taken without doing math to figure out the actual date.

• Like 1

Now that I have reached "geezer status" I maintain a running word document on my computer to keep tract of the 6-9 cameras that I maintain annually. Some of my older cameras do not allow updating the date or time on the camera. But I keep track of the camera type, number/size of batteries, size of the data card, date and time I set up the camera and general description of how many pictures/types of animals the cameras capture. Sure is good exercise and very interesting pictures that I get surprised by. Last year my best picture was a 6-point bull shoving his horns in the face of a mountain lion. Unfortunately it was a night picture and not the best of quality. Might have been a prize winner if taken in the day time light. Also get lots of pictures of bear noses. They seem to be very curious chaps......as much as the elk are.

• Like 1