Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Optics System Choice

Currently I have the Leica Duovid 10+15x50, and have picked up a Vortex Razor 65mm spotter since the last Coues hunt.

Has anyone dumped their 10x, 15x binos in favor of just the Swaro 12x coupled with a spotter? What are your preferences, pluses, and minuses? Is losing the 15x a major consideration? I had originally switched years ago to the Duovid for weight consideration ave carrying both 10x and 15x binos.

I switched every thing for 12x Swarovski's. I can see every thing I need to see. If not I'm to far to do anything about it any way. What I lost with the 15x I more than make up for in crips clearness at12x

Currently I have the Leica Duovid 10+15x50, and have picked up a Vortex Razor 65mm spotter since the last Coues hunt.

Has anyone dumped their 10x, 15x binos in favor of just the Swaro 12x coupled with a spotter? What are your preferences, pluses, and minuses? Is losing the 15x a major consideration? I had originally switched years ago to the Duovid for weight consideration ave carrying both 10x and 15x binos.

Doug, i haven't "dumped" the Duovids, but I have added 12 swaros to the barn. I can not comment too much yet, as I did it after Coues season. I do like them, but in only 3 days of javelina hunting, I did miss the ability to switch to the added power of 15x.

• Like 1

I would never give up my 15's

10's and 15's cover 99% of everything for me

Ive bought several spotters and always end up selling because 1) I rarely used it 2) unless it is a top of the line spotter they suck at over 30x 3) takes up too much room in the pack.

• Like 3

I run the 12x50sELs with the new Vortex 85 spotter. I do so because I can still hand hold the 12s for short periods and I don't want to pack two pairs. I've never used 15s so I can't compare. But I can find anything within my range with the 12s and pick it appart with the spotter. Again, I can speak from experience, but I would rather have more crispness over a little more magnification.

Man I have really been thinking about this too. Instead of $1600 15x and $1000 10x binos, which are both very good, I could have one 12x pair of the best glass on earth, and save some weight.

Thanks for the input so far. The important part of the question to me would be if the reportedly sharper resolution of the 12x would make up for the reduced magnification from 15x. Guess I will need to find a pair of 12x to compare with 15x outside.

• Like 1

If you are going to compare them to swaro 15s, try to find someone with the HD model. There is a significant difference

The old swaro non hd 15s didn't compare to the 12x els. The 12x els are significantly most crisp, and the 3x extra magnification didn't matter. The new hd 15's though are just as good as the 12's or very close. The thing I like the most about the 12's is the field of view is much wider and they are lighter. If you're gonna carry a spotter then get the 12's to save on weight. Also, look at the cabelas euro hd 12x50's. They are not quite as good as the swaro 12's but they are great and still much clearer then the old style swaros and around $1000-$1200. I. Bought a pair of 12x50 euros on eBay as a backup pair or a loaner as I'm always taking new folks out with me. After using them myself, side by side with the swaros, they became my primary pair and I sold the swaros. Either way you won't regret the 12's.

• Like 1

Depending on terrain but 90% of it usually exceeds 300 yards and out. You usually only have so much ground right in front of you close and the rest is out from 300 yards to a 1 mile. Doesn't take long to look at the 100 -200 yard spots but if your setting up to be glassing like all of us here you will be sitting in you spot for 15-60 mins glassing. That being said I usually carry just 15s with me. Only a couple of times I wish I had 10s but I will use 15s about 98% of the time. As little as I use it not worth the extra weight. As for spotters I haven't been in a unit that I glass up multiple large bucks in one hunt, for me to get picky about. If I glass up a buck from 1300 yards and he looks big in my 15s, guess what?? He probably is a really good shooter. Once I get a tag for the BAB maybe Ill get a spotter and be picky. This doesn't mean I dont want a spotter but I probably wont hike in with it though.