Sign in to follow this  
eom

Don't know what to think!

2018 started off on a good foot..I shot my first archery buck a good buck in a bit so great spot! I've hunted this area since I started hunting which wasn't to long ago and I've been determined to harvest a deer In this particular area... well Monday morning I finally connect and I can't believe it I'm super excited and then a group of quads come through which end up pushing the deer for a long ways! We blood trail him well over a mile and the blood ends I've spent the last three days searching and searching crawling the desert floor looking for blood and finally today I find him...someone got to him before I found him and took the rack and most meat! Extremely frustrating!

post-11749-0-73378700-1515032396_thumb.jpg

2018 started off on a good foot..I shot my first archery buck a good buck in a bit so great spot! I've hunted this area since I started hunting which wasn't to long ago and I've been determined to harvest a deer In this particular area... well Monday morning I finally connect and I can't believe it I'm super excited and then a group of quads come through which end up pushing the deer for a long ways! We blood trail him well over a mile and the blood ends I've spent the last three days searching and searching crawling the desert floor looking for blood and finally today I find him...someone got to him before I found him and took the rack and most meat! Extremely frustrating!

Positive it's the same deer? Sounds like you lost the trail for a few days maybe someone else killed a deer and you found it?

Sucks dude. I was wondering earlier today if you were able to find him, not the best end scenario. Your pretty sure it's the same deer?

Same deer for sure! My shot wasent a pass through neither was this one! The carcass was 300 yards from where my arrow finally came out! I hit low and this deer was also shot low... but the only day anyone was back in this area was Monday we were waiting it out when a truck came in we told them I had shot a deer and was in this area and they still proceeded to go in we left at dark Monday night and they pulled out a little after us no one has been in there since I've been there all day looking and finally found this today so I'm positive it's the same deer!

Bummer man. Thats impressive that you were able to find him after traveling that long. I wonder if someone else shot and tagged him before it died? Again, bummer either way.

I had some help and we had good blood for awhile then it got spotty we made a graph of the area we searched and just continued to disect that general area... I'm really hoping that someone may of found him wounded and tagged him but they left a lot of meat on him which makes me wonder if they were in a hurry I don't want to speculate but it just seems that way. When I found him today there was no blood trail anywhere leading to where he was at and when I found my arrow Monday night there was one tiny drop of blood and then we couldn't find anything... I really hope it was taken legally and someone didn't just find him and take him!

• Like 1

Shot him Monday morning and found him today and mad someone took the meat a day ago? Sorry man at least some of that meat wasn't wasted. The temps this winter have been high without gutting and skinning don't see how any of it wouldn't have been rotting after 24 hours. Sorry you didn't recover him.

real sad way for your first deer to wind up, but if it was still alive and someone else killed it, I believe that makes it their deer. More than one guy has put a tag on a wounded animal, not because he wanted to, but would rather do that then see a wounded animal hobbling around the desert dying slowly.

Sorry, but keep after it & hope it goes better for you next time.

• Like 2

I'd have to agree with coffeeman. If you actually killed him three days earlier more than likely they wouldn't have taken the meat due to being rotten. Good chance they caught up to him wounded and had an easy kill so they killed him.

• Like 1

It was taken on Monday I've been there sun up to sun down since then and no one in there! There's one way in and one way out of this particular area! The only people that were there came in Monday after I told them I shot a deer in there! Again if they found him wounded and shot him I'm not mad!

• Like 1

Dealing with other hunters seems to often be part of the equation. I walked pretty far back for a few days, just to get away from other hunters. Then, spent Sat where another group was in "my buddy's area", :o, and I just said " hunt within a mile of a road, deal with it." btw, the rutting mulie buck survived unscathed being surrounded.

Very respectful how you spent three days tracking. Wish others would do that...We are seeing evidence of all the long range hunters who are not really all that skilled at shooting. Do not want to be controversial, but I wish others would learn from your persistence. I like being reminded as well. Interesting post.

• Like 1