Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

'Stink Pigs'

Bill may be reading Gerald Day perhaps???

Quite frankly, I haven't read Gerry's book in so many years I can't begin to count them. lf he discussed the origin of the name "javelina" in his book, I forgot about it and I apologize for not giving him credit. It was published long before the garbage about collared peccaries being descended from rodents or named for the long sharp teeth on young peccaries started making the rounds.

What happened, was a light bulb went off when I hunted red stag and wild boar on a friend's estate in Spain's Toledo Mountains in 1984, and the farm worker assigned to help me started talking about "jabalis" when we found where a group of boars had been rooting.

I was pleased to see Gerry again last year at the funeral of a mutual friend. He along with Tice Supplee are THE undisputed experts on the javelina in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Collared peccary or javelina works for me. To impress friends and acquaintances, you also could use their scientific name, Pecari tajacu.

Bill Quimby

Quite frankly, I haven't read Gerry's book in so many years I can't begin to count them. lf he discussed the origin of the name "javelina" in his book, I forgot about it and I apologize for not giving him credit. It was published long before the garbage about collared peccaries being descended from rodents or named for the long sharp teeth on young peccaries started making the rounds.

What happened, was a light bulb went off when I hunted red stag and wild boar on a friend's estate in Spain's Toledo Mountains in 1984, and the farm worker assigned to help me started talking about "jabalis" when we found where a group of boars had been rooting.

I was pleased to see Gerry again last year at the funeral of a mutual friend. He along with Tice Supplee are THE undisputed experts on the javelina in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

Agreed. Not familiar with Tice. Does he have any writing published on Javelina?

I still prefer their scientific designation as either: Cactus Bounders, or the less known Prickle Pigs... :huh: :)

Tice is a she and she Is the person that is in charge of presenting the hunt recommendations to the board. I did not say that she decides how many permits are allowed, that is a secret known only to the top bureaucrats. <_<

Tice is a she and she Is the person that is in charge of presenting the hunt recommendations to the board. I did not say that she decides how many permits are allowed, that is a secret known only to the top bureaucrats. <_<

Tice hasn't worked for the AZGFD for quite a few years now and I believe Amber Munig is the one who brings the hunt recommendations in front of the commission.

Bill Quimby

Agreed. Not familiar with Tice. Does he have any writing published on Javelina?

Tice is the woman who early in her career worked with Gerry Day when he was studying javelinas. She advanced up the game department's chain of command until she was the game branch chief. She may have gone higher in the agency, but I retired from the newspaper about then and lost track of her.

She was extremely knowledgeable about Arizona's wildlife and especially good at soothing disgruntled hunters when she testified at commission meetings.

Bill Quimby

Javelina as in the spear is a term made up by Mexicans. The proper name is Collared Peccary. Lets see what you all can do with that name. :mellow:

Can you say peccary on this web site?

Actually, the word "javelina" has nothing to do with javelins or spears, or even Mexicans.

It stems from the Spanish word for the European wild boar, "jabali." The Spanish conquistadores who first encountered the collared peccary in the New World long before there was a Mexico added "ina" to indicate they reminded them of small wild boars.

English-speakers often have trouble with Spanish words that contain a B and tend to pronounce them as if the B was a V, which resulted in a "jabalina" becoming known as a "javelina."

Bill Quimby

This is correct^^^

Good to see you approve. I am sure Bill will sleep better tonight knowing he got a nod from the great Czar of The Peccaries.