Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Why I buy points

If you can figure out how to do any research on Wyoming you can find several places you can draw a buck tag with less than 3 points and get 2 doe tags as well. The problem is that you can kill all 3 in one day and its al over. Guess thats good and bad

• Like 1

If you can figure out how to do any research on Wyoming you can find several places you can draw a buck tag with less than 3 points and get 2 doe tags as well. The problem is that you can kill all 3 in one day and its al over. Guess thats good and bad

The good news is that any many areas, there are tags available for deer (both whitetail and Mule) and elk during the same time as antelope. So, even if you whack your antelope in a day, you can go hunt elk or deer. Last year I hunted elk and deer and left myself only 1 day at the end of my vacation to fill my doe antelope tags. I filled them both on that last day. If you are only hunting antelope, just plan on a short trip.

The good news is that any many areas, there are tags available for deer (both whitetail and Mule) and elk during the same time as antelope. So, even if you whack your antelope in a day, you can go hunt elk or deer. Last year I hunted elk and deer and left myself only 1 day at the end of my vacation to fill my doe antelope tags. I filled them both on that last day. If you are only hunting antelope, just plan on a short trip.

This makes me very excited as I have been buying points for here as well !!!

Thanks to Adam and Average Joe Ive leaned alot with preference points. I now have them in Wy and CO

• Like 1

Nevada, Utah, Az yes you have to buy a license, nm is refundable if you don't draw. You don't have to buy a license for Colorado or Wyoming. Those are the only states I know about and apply in.

• Like 1

Do you have to buy an out of state license Just to buy the points?

Depends on the state. Some you do some you dont. Wyoming you dont have to. Utah you can buy it every other year. Nevada you need it every year.

Depends on the state. Some you do some you dont. Wyoming you dont have to. Utah you can buy it every other year. Nevada you need it every year.

Thanks, I was refering to zekes post about CO and WY. I just assumed you did. Gonna half to start looking into WY. So are the easy to draw lope tags in sage country? How's the meat on those things? I've heard many different opinions, but I've heard in areas with sage they're nasty? I'm wondering because the 2 doe lope tags. I'd want to get the meat but not if it's gross.

Thanks, I was refering to zekes post about CO and WY. I just assumed you did. Gonna half to start looking into WY. So are the easy to draw lope tags in sage country? How's the meat on those things? I've heard many different opinions, but I've heard in areas with sage they're nasty? I'm wondering because the 2 doe lope tags. I'd want to get the meat but not if it's gross.

The only antelope meat that is nasty is meat that wasnt handled properly. Ive killed antelope in ND, MT, WY, AZ and NM and all of them were fantastic. Im anal about how I handle and animal after its killed though. I would say the best are the ones I shoot 20 min from my house in MT and I can get them home and hung from the loader to skin them properly and cut them bone in like a beef. The worst was probably a NM buck that was rutting like a wild man and I had to do the gutless method on and take out in a day pack, but Ive never had a bad one. If youre worried about that focus on the eastern part of the state. All the agricultural land will be private but the units with lots of private are easiest to draw. Find a rancher with a few center pivots of alfalfa that will let you on for a trespass fee and stack em up.

• Like 1