Sign in to follow this  
Redbeard

I'm out

Doesnt bother me, I tried to guide my brother into a small herd of bucks via radio last year, he still never found them. I dont think the moral police need to get involved in how someone is legally shooting a deer. There are many people who say the same thing about compound bows, or just about compounds with 80% letoff. Archery is already a big handicap, why sweat all of the other stuff? just my opinion.

I think you have to make the decision before you do a stalk. If you want to enter the animal in the books you cant use radios. But even using radios doesnt always work anyway.

It doesnt bother me either, I see it as a useful tool and will use them when ever possible if thats what is needed to make the hunt succesful.

The only problem that extends from this is the fact that he is killing these GIANT deer, and none of them are in the record bools. Seems dis respectul to the animal and makes it seem that the only reason he kills is to stroke his own ego.. Money, hunting fame, etc etc.

I'm not sure how it's that much advantage, If the guy on the other end of the radio was using hand signals instead of the radio would it be the same? This topic could be taken a long ways, how many of us have 15x binos compared to 10x binos? All of us using binos to find game that we would not be able to see with the naked eye, is that giving our couse deer an unfair advantage? From finding the animal to harvesting the animal I believe , with a bow we're at the disadvantage-my .02

I'm not sure how it's that much advantage, If the guy on the other end of the radio was using hand signals instead of the radio would it be the same? This topic could be taken a long ways, how many of us have 15x binos compared to 10x binos? All of us using binos to find game that we would not be able to see with the naked eye, is that giving our couse deer an unfair advantage? From finding the animal to harvesting the animal I believe , with a bow we're at the disadvantage-my .02

I agree, you still got to put a good shot on it.

The only problem that extends from this is the fact that he is killing these GIANT deer, and none of them are in the record bools. Seems dis respectul to the animal and makes it seem that the only reason he kills is to stroke his own ego.. Money, hunting fame, etc etc.

I'm not sure how it's disrespectful to the animal to NOT enter it into the books? I wonder how many people on this site have killed P&Y class animals and not enetered them? I know I have. If anything I believe people today use the record books as a tool to stroke their own ego's and try to achieve hunting fame through them.

Redbeard, I have real mixed feelings about this topic. I will admit I have used radios to help guide hunters in the past, but never with success. I have come to my own PERSONAL decision that since it's legal, at least in Arizona, it becomes an ethics issue. Everyone's ethics are slightly different. We can't judge people based on there differing view on ethics. In several states it's still against the law to hunt on Sunday. Is hunting on Sunday unethical? Perhaps to a religious person it is? One of the big time hunters, I think Jim Shockey but don't hold me to it, Thinks it's unethical to shoot bedded game. I disagree, but if that's a standard he wants to hold himself to then that's fine with me.

Where do you draw the line with using electronics to assist in taking game. Does using a flashlight or GPS in the darkness of early dawn to find your treestand count? What about using a radio to check in with the guys at camp? What about a trail camera during the season to find that shooter buck? What about laser rangefinders they're electronic devices? We can go on all day.

Everyone will choose to draw the line in different spot, but at the end of the day as long as it's with in the law we shouldn't look down our nose at anyone just for choosing to believe a little differently then we do.

Just my .02 cents.

Randy is a STUD of a hunter and he works his butt off all year to keep his hunting edge. As far as the books I really don't care about the books heck I've never even looked at them. But I'm not a trophy hunter I hunt for fun and just to get outdoors. If I had alot of time and money to put into hunting I might change my mind about trophy hunting but it's just too time consuming for me to be successful at it. I barely have enough time to go out and shoot the first buck I see.

It doesnt bother me either, I see it as a useful tool and will use them when ever possible if thats what is needed to make the hunt succesful.

I think you're wrong there Case. If it was all about respect for the animal, then why put the hunter's name in the book? Seems to me books are all about ego, fame, etc.

And as far as the radios go - I don't know Randy personally, although i have ran into him in the hills, but some people i know know him and say he is nothing but the real deal. A genuinely nice guy, who is an extremely gifted hunter. Just because his methods don't match yours doesn't make him a bad guy. A good percentage of people on this site use radios, why not call them out? Comes off as jealousy to me.

Dis-respectful to the animal??? Now THAT'S funny!!! I suspect that deer doesn't give a rat's 'you know what' whether he or any of his brothers are in the book!!! :lol: How many guys do you know that enter deer in a book to 'honor the deer'.... Seems like they're mainly stoking their own ego by entering an animal that they killed in the book, not the deer's IMO..... Of course you know what they say about opinions! ;)

S.

:)

Dis-respectful to the animal??? Now THAT'S funny!!! I suspect that deer doesn't give a rat's 'you know what' whether he or any of his brothers are in the book!!! :lol: How many guys do you know that enter deer in a book to 'honor the deer'.... Seems like they're mainly stoking their own ego by entering an animal that they killed in the book, not the deer's IMO..... Of course you know what they say about opinions! ;)

S.

Well said, seems to me all the books are good for is EGO. Why would I pay money to enter an animal I harvested into some record book??? Unless I need to support that ego. No thanks, I hunt for the fun of it and because I love being outdoors, not the recognition for killing a big animal. To much of the hunting scene now is wrapped up in score and size, haven't you guys heard that "size doesn't matter", at least thats what my wife keeps telling me. :lol:

S.

Well said, seems to me all the books are good for is EGO. Why would I pay money to enter an animal I harvested into some record book??? Unless I need to support that ego. No thanks, I hunt for the fun of it and because I love being outdoors, not the recognition for killing a big animal. To much of the hunting scene now is wrapped up in score and size, haven't you guys heard that "size doesn't matter", at least thats what my wife keeps telling me. :lol:

You never see him shoot a spike! EGO <_<