ThomC

Friday in Payson Trail Cameras

Just a curious question. How does banning or limiting cameras give one guide an advantage over another. “If they both follow the rules”.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, huntlines said:

Exactly my point. So let’s say the next day you kill said bull you took a picture from your truck the day before. You post picture of said bull on a social media site and G&F show up at your door to cite you. Kinda a stretch but seems people here think it’s going to happen. This is what we have come to?

Difference is, you are actually physically taking the picture, not sitting at home letting your trail camera take the picture...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Difference is, you are actually physically taking the picture, not sitting at home letting your trail camera take the picture...

But according to some on here you have to prove that. Did the picture come from a trail cam or a hand held camera?

15 minutes ago, 4huntrs said:

Just a curious question. How does banning or limiting cameras give one guide an advantage over another. “If they both follow the rules”.

It has to do with time in the field. A regular hunter might have a handful of days to scout. Trailcams would be a huge advantage to him because he doesn't have to be there to see the animals movement or the caliber of the animals that are moving through the area. Guides or Outfitters... like AZ Groundpounders who are for the ban... have far more time in the field and don't really need trailcams to find the big ones. I am proof of that. I've helped put some stud desert muleys on the ground without ever using a trailcam to locate them because I'm able to be in the field 10x as much as a regular hunter. Guides that want this ban know full well they will have less competition for the big animals. 

16 minutes ago, 4huntrs said:

I didn’t know guides were the problem 

I think that is exactly why guys hire guides!  They simply do not have the time to go scout for themselves.  I am all for guides benefitting from this.  That is exactly why guys should hire guides.  They put the ACTUAL time in the field and get to reap the rewards.  In general, the relationship of trophy potential and time in the field should be proportional.  

No more sitting at home letting your 20 cameras do your scouting.  If overall success rates do go down, great! This isn't a participation ribbon type of activity.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I think that is exactly why guys hire guides!  They simply do not have the time to go scout for themselves.  I am all for guides benefitting from this.  That is exactly why guys should hire guides.  They put the ACTUAL time in the field and get to reap the rewards.  In general, the relationship of trophy potential and time in the field should be proportional.  

No more sitting at home letting your 20 cameras do your scouting.  If overall success rates do go down, great! This isn't a participation ribbon type of activity.  

My selfish side is actually for a ban because of everything you mentioned. I've talked about riding the fence and that's why I'm riding it. 

I find it funny how some use the argument the ban will help guides. Sure there are a few guide who don’t use them which it will help. However, the far majority of guides use trail cameras and a ton of them. 

commission meeting is very interesting. Valid points being made on both sides.

• Like 1

Great comments regarding this ban and issue is dividing the hunting community. 

Believe me this is only going to get worse. PETA and other animal groups are loving this!

• Like 1

Blah, Blah, Blah just vote and stop preaching!

Some of the Commissioners are cattle ranchers and biased. I thought this was about fair chase?

All you guides and hunter who have hundreds of trail cams, may want to sale them on EBay. Commission just voted unanimously to ban cameras completely. 

1 minute ago, 4huntrs said:

Just to be the Devils Advocate. I guess they could ban hunting and then everyone could put their trail cameras out instead.

It’s coming, heck then every year I’d have an elk tag……

• Haha 1