Sign in to follow this  
Siwash

Need advice/weld on an outboard

I have a lates 90s 2 stroke 25hp Mercury Sea Pro tiller steer outboard and managed to ding the shallow water drive when backing up the boat  in the dark. it was a $45 part but it also looks like one of the collars that supports it on the tilt bracket was broken. 

It is probs less than 3/4” I thought about slapping on some JB weld marine, but thats probably a bad idea. First pic is the what it should look like, last 3 show the break.

I know squat about welding. Could this be welded to repair it and could anyone suggest someone to do so in Tucson/Vail/Sonoita?

Thanks for reading. 

9675A518-844A-4EA8-B6FF-7DE19D864A26.jpeg

989DC3D0-1EDE-4688-85FC-0AE7F5739C13.jpeg

6947F29C-C93E-4CF9-A885-DDEF0E0000A9.jpeg

C5552A83-61F6-4E4D-96E4-46DB02823471.jpeg

most alum on motor stuff is cast and or crap. buy a new one or find a used one.

the pin in there need to ride smooth and free.. it can be mickey moused and may and probably will work but if you ever get in a accident your fault or theirs you will more than likely loose.

that looks like one of the main motor mounts that attaches to the hull. if the other one breaks due to stress you can loose your motor or injure someone.

9 hours ago, Delw said:

that looks like one of the main motor mounts that attaches to the hull. if the other one breaks due to stress you can loose your motor or injure someone.

Its probably hard to tell from the pics but the broken area does not connect to the transom mounts and really doesn’t create major safety concerns. 

It looks like cast aluminum. Not an easy weld and any weld on this would most likely reduce the strength and increase brittleness. This sucks but the only reliable fix is to replace the part.

I have welded that stuff in the past. Any experience welder should have no problem. Just need a high cleaning action to pull contaminated crap out before dabbing. Pre heat helps also. 
welded the lower portion of my skeg on years back with no issues.  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 1:40 PM, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

I have welded that stuff in the past. Any experience welder should have no problem. Just need a high cleaning action to pull contaminated crap out before dabbing. Pre heat helps also. 
welded the lower portion of my skeg on years back with no issues.  

This. 

Since all the helpful people have already chimed in I would recommend just set a couple pieces of metal on it and stick it outside this week. Come back on the weekend and it should be all nice and stuck together for you....

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 3:54 PM, wildwoody said:

Oh Delw is gonna school you. Lol

Not me dude, I dont weld or pretend to know anything about it.

If I was to mickey mouse it and had the other piece, I would drill and tap it then toss 2 LONG stainless steel screws in it.

but its a boat motor lots of vibration as well as bumps. if it can break being one solid piece it could break alot easier mickey mousing it. not to mention liability issues.    NEW or Used Bracket

• Like 2