Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Dillon 550

I'm looking at getting a dillon 550c with some upgrades and dies for 223. I have several thousand to load. Do you think it's worth it over a single stage? Are there any issues with consistency when mass reloading with these? Screenshot_20210713-214642_eBay.thumb.jpg.267d0ece20364532618ec71c8ee84e72.jpg

You’re not going to get the accuracy from a progressive do to the powder dump and tolerances.  However you’re not going to load the volume on a single stage that you can on a progressive.  Really just depends on what kind of accuracy you’re looking for.

• Like 1

Exactly what was already said. you wouldn't use a progressive press for extreme accuracy but the cartridges that most people load with them don't necessarily have to be super accurate. I've spent about $2,500 getting a new Hornady ammo plant set up over the last 6 months or so.... I've been reloading for 20+ years and there is definitely a learning curve involved. That being said, i can pump out 500 or so rounds an hour when I get serious about it. I still use my single stage for all of my hunting rifles. 

I would be using this for my ar's and 300 blackout pistols. Hunting rifles would still be on my single stage. I'd be most worried about an overcharge on an AR platform. 

• Like 2

Just now, ctafoya said:

I would be using this for my ar's and 300 blackout pistols. Hunting rifles would still be on my single stage. I'd be most worried about an overcharge on an AR platform. 

The overcharge is the only thing that worries me but if you use a powder cop die and pay attention to it you should be ok

• Like 1

If its just plinking ammo they are great.

I check my powder dump every 50 rounds or so just to make sure they are within specs.

The 550 does all my pistol and 223 ammo.

Single stage for everything else

• Like 2

I've never had a issue with over charging on 223 on my 550. Once you get it set up and get all your primer tubes, cases and bullets ready to go you can kick some rounds out pretty quick. I to use a single stage for long gun loads. Pistol and 223 on the 550b.

• Like 3

ill find out soon enough. I was the winning bidder and its shipping today. 

Dillion is a great customer service company too. Any questions or problems call them or go by and they will help  you out.

Have one and works great. Very little powder variation. Less then my Hornady powder measure. Lot all my handgun and 223 ammo on it. The trick is to weigh ten dropped charges and take the average weight, to adjust the powder measure.

On 7/19/2021 at 3:39 PM, Jlreff said:

Have one and works great. Very little powder variation. Less then my Hornady powder measure. Lot all my handgun and 223 ammo on it. The trick is to weigh ten dropped charges and take the average weight, to adjust the powder measure.

This is my experience loading pistol cartridges.  The Dillon powder measures have been quite consistent.  Can't say if I would see more variation in larger charges, like for a rifle.

Great machine!  I highly recommend purchasing the primer and powder alarm!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta get the darn thing set up first! been sitting in the corner of my reloading room since I got it. No time for anything these days.