Heat

Alaska 2021

13 minutes ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

What part of the Kenai did you fish?  Looks like you got into some quality fish!

Middle Kenai. We launched at Lower Skilak Lake and fished down towards Sterling. If I get on Google Earth I can probably figure out exactly where we were. There was a grass island/gravel bar kinda out in the middle that we were standing on. Bald Eagles were nested right across the river from where we were. It was so cool! Our 9 fish turned into 26.5 #s of filets so these fish were probably somewhere between 7 to 10 #'s I would guess. The day before we fished 85K fish moved past the sonar at the mouth. The Good Lord provides!

20210721_061711.jpg

20210721_061720.jpg

20210721_061727.jpg

• Like 2

Love the pics!  We were there last year and fished(I use the term "fished" loosely because flossing isn't my favorite, especially when you can't see the fish) the lower Kenai areas.  So crowded and a little frustrating to say the least.  Switched over to the Kasilof and had a great time.  Will have to try the middle section next year.  

• Like 1

So cool in Seward right now going for Salmon and rock fish tomorrow early no halibut Wednesday how lame.  Kenai next day Homer the next Halibut Halibut. :)  Then back to Kenai and a float trip down the Kasilof and back to Kenai and Alaska Amber  So far a fun trip and haven’t put a line in yet!   Scenery is absolutely beautiful!!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, twistzz said:

So cool in Seward right now going for Salmon and rock fish tomorrow early no halibut Wednesday how lame.  Kenai next day Homer the next Halibut Halibut. :)  Then back to Kenai and a float trip down the Kasilof and back to Kenai and Alaska Amber  So far a fun trip and haven’t put a line in yet!   Scenery is absolutely beautiful!!!

Dude keep this thread rolling, post your reports and pics right here! Enjoy man, it's about to get "reel" !

1 hour ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

Love the pics!  We were there last year and fished(I use the term "fished" loosely because flossing isn't my favorite, especially when you can't see the fish) the lower Kenai areas.  So crowded and a little frustrating to say the least.  Switched over to the Kasilof and had a great time.  Will have to try the middle section next year.  

I think going with the guide kinda helped us from being overrun with the crowds. I guess if you have access to a boat you can also find some good spots. I've seen the videos of the combat fishing on the Russian River and Lower Kenai and that didn't look like fun for the first time, especially with my wife and father in law fishing with me. Springing for the guide was expensive but well worth it for the first go round IMO. We had a wonderful time together as a (partial) family that I will cherish forever!

So we got back yesterday and it was an absolute blast!  Totally exceeded my expectations.  We went with Alaska fishing adventures at Anglers Lodge in Sterling.  The Sockeye were going nuts the last two days we were there cause they closed down the commercial guys.  Non stop action and the ocean fishing was outstanding.  First box of fish got here this a.m. the rest of it on the 10th.  The weather was excellent, didn't get rained on once.  Also got to experience a tsunami evacuation in Seward - not so much fun at midnight after a long day fishing lol.  It really was a great trip!  I'll definitely be going back and the folks and guides at Anglers were all top notch.  Great atmosphere to!  Here's some pics :)  

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_0852.jpeg

IMG_0857.jpeg

IMG_0860.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks like you guys really had an outstanding trip, well done! Looks like a few of those sockeye are starting to change to spawning colors. Ours were all chrome. Did you guys get into any Chinook on the ocean? Great stuff, thanks for sharing. I can't wait to go back someday.

We got 3 kings on the ocean was closed on the rivers.  All silvers mostly on the ocean big ones out of Seward.  Kenai had big sockeye Kasilof had lots of fish not to big though.  Was doing catch and release at the dock of anglers lodge the last day every cast a fish!  Needed some Advil on the way home probably caught over 45 fish on two hours.  Was really just catching not fishing life is good!!

• Like 2

I drove up with 2 of my children 11 and 15 at the time.  We enjoyed the inland most of all.  2.5lb brookies were a blast and tasty.  We spent about 2.5 months on the road.  We did head to seward and that area.  we caught a ton of reds and sent a bunch home.  Then my wife flew up for a couple weeks and we sent 2 50lb frozen boxes home on the plane with her.  We never used a guide , but we had time to ask and learn from locals.  My son 15 caught a king on light tackle on the indian river on his first cast.  he was alone, I had taken my daughter horse back riding and dropped him off.  I found him about 1/2 mile upstream still trying to get that king in.  

Just a wonderful trip and amazing place.  But I'll say, my son and I probably only slept 4 hours a day.  so hard to head back to camp when you catching fish and it never gets dark.  Everyone wants to head back, but they want to me to make the drive and meet me up there.

BC also had great fishing along the way. 

I grew up going to AK during the summer.  age 9 - 19.  Both my parents were teachers and we left the day after school was out and came home the day before school started.  We stayed in Kenai because my dad figured there was someplace good to go fishing on any given day within an hours drive of Kenai.  From age 10 - 14 all we did was fish.  It was a good 5 year run.  At 15 I started working so my fishing time took a hit.  I ate so much salmon as a kid I can not eat it now as an adult.  AK Halibut (IMO) is still one of the best fish to eat (Ahi tuna the other).  I got spoiled.  Fishing in AZ is not really any fun for me.  Now I go to MX to fish in the ocean.  Quality over quantity.  These stories and pictures are great.  They bring back a lot of great memories.  Spending the month of July in AK would be a great trip.

• Like 5

Best trip out of 28 to Alaska was the Nushagak. 121 kings in one day for four of us. Last year the Nush let the commercial start 3 days early and only 20 for 3 of us in 3 days. Next year we are doing Sitka for 6 days. I leave for Oregon 9/1 for a few days of chinook fishing with old friends. I love Sitka for the beauty and it is a great fishery for kings, halibut and huge ling cod so looking forward to that one. At 72 I need to cram in every salmon trip I can before the reaper comes for me. Glad you had a great trip.

• Like 4

Wow I love Seward.  That place is Beautiful.  Photos looked awesome