Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

2008 season starts off with a BANG!!

Outfitter: Spear Safaris

PH: Koos Moulder

Dates: August 18th-September 1st, 2008

Locations: Northeast Limpopo Province near the town of Hoedspruit very near the Kruger Park boundry. Six days also spent in the Newcastle area of South Africa (6 hours south of original location) to hunt a few highveldt species.

Species Taken: Kudu, Waterbuck, Limpopo Bushbuck, Cape Heartebeast, Cape Springbok, Duiker and 3 species of Francolin

Species seen and hunted but not taken: Vaal Rhebok, Mountain Reedbuck, Warthog

Other Game Seen: Cape buff, Lion, Leopard, White and Black Rhino, Ele, Croc, Hippo, Cheetah, Spotted Hyena, Civet, Kilpspringer, Impala, Nyala, Oribi, Steinbok, Common and White Blesbok, Black and White Springbok, Zebra, Giraffe, Eland, Black and Blue Wildebeast, Ostrich, Gemsbok, Sharpe's Grysbok, Common Reedbuck, Baboon

Travel: South African Airlines (Tucson- Denver- Washington DC- Johannesburg- Phalaborwa)

Travel Agent: Gracy Travel

Rifles: .300WSM Rem. built by Match Grade Arms: Beretta 20ga. O/U

Optics: Leupold VXIII 4.5x14 B&C reticle scope, Swarovski Binos

Ammo: Federal Premium 180 gr Barnes TSX

Well guys, another great safari has been had once again! This trip was as good as they come. I had the pleasure of taking 3 good friends on their first African hunt and they had the times of their lives! All took the species they wanted and got some really good ones in the process. This was my 4th time to Africa and was spent chasing a few species that I had yet to get thus far and try and improve on a couple I already have.

We arrived in Jo'burg with no hiccups with the rifles or luggage. Afton house put us up for the night and then we headed back to the airport the next morning for the final flight to Phalaborwa. Once there, we headed out and were finally in the African veldt once again!! We spent the first evening on a game drive and just relaxing. That night we decided who was going to hunt with who. 2 of the guys decided to to go 1X1 with thier PH and myself and Devin decided to hunt 2X1.

The first day was dedicated to chasing Devin's Nyala. We hunted hard all day and right at dark, he knocked down a great bull. During the course of the day, I was fortune enough to FINALLY get a crack at a good duiker. Those little devils had eluded me thus far since my 1st trip to Africa in 2000. He ended up being a good maturte male. He'll look good on the wall.

croppedduiker.jpg

We spent the next few days in the area chasing warthogs and bushbuck.. I have already taken a few warties and was holding out for a real monster hog but ended up not finding him on this trip. Devin got a shot at a really good pig and took it during this time. He ended up with an 11" wartie for his effort. During all the hog hunting, I was keeping a keen eye out for a good bushbuck ram. We chased several, but none were deemed shooters. Time to move on to bigger game for a day or so..

The next couple of days were spent on a local dairy farm an hr or so from where we were based out of.. The farmer had called and told Ernest about all the Kudu he had on the farm and that they were really becoming a pest to him. It seemed that everytime he made his twice daily rounds to feed his dairy calves, the Kudu would come out of the woodwork and would then eat more of the feed than the calves!! He had deemed them a pest and wanted to take a few bulls off the place ASAP. We really didn't know to expect in terms of trophy quality, but we figured we'd at least give it a go and see what might happen! We showed up the next morning and met with the farmer. He filled us in on the area and when his hands would be feeding the dairy calves. Before the calves were fed, we drove to the area, found a good hiding spot and waited on the feed truck. After the truck made his rounds, it was almost immediate. Kudu were coming out EVERYWHERE!! Within 5 minutes, there must have been 60 kudu all around us. Bulls, cows and calves alike. We saw 4 or 5 that were deemed shooters and found a great one for Devin. He put the bull down in short order and ended up with a 55" bull as his first kudu!! After loading up the bull, we promptly told the farmer that we'd be back in the morning for a repeat of the the hunt!! Next morning, exact same senario.. Feed, boom, bull down. My bull ended up being a shade over 52" and old as the hills. Another great trophy.Not to mention a happy old dairy farmer!

croppedkudu.jpg

The next few days were devoted to chasing Waterbuck. Being numero uno on my list, I had first shot.. As Murphy would have it, I find a good bull at first light and promptly miss him with a wild shot that would make any buck fever having 10 yr old proud.. Not the best feeling in the world! The area we were hunting was EXTREMLY dry and all the game was concentrated in the river bottoms. Around lunch, we were on a high bluff glassing the bottoms for wateruck and bushbuck when I glassed a good bull bedded in a thicket along the river bottom's edge. Decided that he was plenty good enough for me and the hunt was on. Good stalk and a redeemed shot and the bull was down. Ended up being 27 1/2.

croppedwaterbuck.jpg

After getting my bull, Devin ends up getting the bull I had missed at last light!! The bull was the same length as the one I had taken, but had a full 5" of width between the tips more than my bull. Another really good trophy.

We then decided to pack the bags and make a trip down south to chase a few species of highveldt species that we both wanted. After an epic road trip of 10hrs of road construction and traffic, we FINALLY arrived at the property. Rest came easy that night!

The next morning was devoted to a big bull Heartebeast that had been known to frequent a particular area in a rough section of the property with his herd of cows. We found the herd, and made a great stalk. We eased up over the last rise and had them at 220 yards away. They had us pegged and were about to bolt. Koos threw down the sticks and told me to take the one to the right of the main herd. I had my scope on 14X. That, coupled with tunnel vision, made me focus in on the first one I found in my scope that was to the right of the herd. Bang, flop.. then I heard those famous words.. "You shot the wrong one!!" Crap. I had no excuse. I was just dialed in on the 1st animal that came into my view to the right of the herd. I just thought that I was on the right animal and pulled the trigger. We made our way over to the downed animal and were all relieved to find a decent bull instead of a dead cow or calf.. Not the moster bull I was after, but a decent bull. Such happens if you hunt enough. I guess it was just my time for a mistake!

My "the wrong bull" bull

croppedheatebeast.jpg

The rest of the day was devoted to chasing Gemsbok. At the end of a long hot, windy day, Devin ended up with a good 32" bull. Made a 300+yd shot and the bull was his. The next morning, we decided to sort out a couple of good springbok. The blesbok on this property were wilder than the wind and it seemed that everytime we were just about to close in on the springbok, the blesbok would bust us and take every animal within a 100 mile radius with them!! After several go rounds like that, I finally got within 250+ of a good herd and sorted out a buck that I liked. Waited what seemed like forever for an open shot and right when they were getting ready to bolt, got the opening I was looking for and took it. Ended up with a pretty little Cape Springbok to take home!!

DSC02716.jpg

After a good photo session, we caught up with the herd again and Devin made another 300+yd shot and took another good Springbok buck from the herd!

We slept in that night and the next morning, we headed for the Komati river area for Eland. This property was insanely huge anf rugged. It truely reminded me of the Salt River canyon area of AZ. Huge country. Plan was to help Devin find his eland and while doing that, I would keep my eye out for a Vaal Rhebok and Mountain Reedbuck for myself. Easier said than done. After 3 days of endless glassing, we had yet to find a shooter Eland bull for Devin. Having said that, my time on the Vaalie's and Mtn Reeds had come and gone with no shots taken. Such is hunting when you're 2X1. Guess I'll have to make a return trip!!The last morning of hunting this property, we decided to change up our tactics and stay in the river bottom instead of going high. It paid off big time for Devin! Our tracker earned his weight in gold that morning by catching the slightest movement in the riverine thickets and before too long, Devin had a fantastic old Eland bull on the ground!! The old man was a warrior. Wily, old, big dark face tuft, worn down horns, and was missing an ear!! A great trophy bull!

We headed back to the Kruger area for the final few days to relax and do a bit of bird hunting and picture taking on the property. We would bird hunt in the mornings, go back and relax at the lodge till mid afternoon and then head back out. On the last evening of the hunt, Devin had taken his rifle with us just in case a shooter Duiker was seen while we were bird hunting. We had a few birds in the bag and it was last light as were were heading back to the lodge when all of a sudden Koos slams on the breaks and bails out of the truck, graps his sticks and tells me to hurry up. He had just seen a shooter bushbuck up ahead!! Devin hands me his rifle and off we go. We ease up to the creek and find the buck. We deem him a shooter and after a chip shot, he's down! I finally had my bushbuck!! He's a bit over 13" and a heavy old mature buck!! I was pumped!!!

croppedbushbuck.jpg

Here's a few pics of the birds we were hunting.. We took a mess of Crested Francolin, a handful of Natal Francolin and few Swainson's Francolin just about everytime we went out. Although we saw Guineas EVERYWHERE while we were big game hunting, the devils were nowhere to be seen while a shotgun was handy!

a morning's take..

DSC02762.jpg

the three diff. species taken while we were bird hunting.. from L to R... Crested Francolin, Swainson's Francolin, and Natal Francolin.

DSC02760.jpg

All in all, we had a fantasic trip. Everybody took some great animals and a wonderful time was had by all 4 of us on this hunt. This was my second hunt with Spear Safaris and I would highly recomend them to anyone.

In closing, here are a few shots of some of the wildlife we encountered while out in the field. Best of all, we everyone of these pictures were taken on the property we hunted. We never went out with cameras only, so alomst all of these pics were taken during hunts. It certainly adds to the excitement of the hunt when you run into a leopard or sleeping hippo bull while chasing plains game!!!

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

Thanks for looking guys.. This was a wonderful warmup to a hopefully super 2008 season!! I hope everyone on here has a wonderfuland sucsessful 2008 season as well!!

Congrats on what looks like a great hunt, thanks for the pictures.

Awesome write up and great pictures as always Scotty. That's just too cool. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this feast up for us.

Phil

Fantastic write-up Scottyboy! Congrats on yet another amazing trip with awesome critters and pics! You are going to be the first person I call when I finally get enough money saved up for Africa! ;)

Waaayy cool, nice job, sounds like a fantastic trip Scotty.

I can answer the bird question Amanda, it's a Lilac Breasted Roller.

Waaayy cool, nice job, sounds like a fantastic trip Scotty.

I can answer the bird question Amanda, it's a Lilac Breasted Roller.

Sweet! thanks Kevin!! You always impress me!

Amanda

Scott,

Sounds and looks like another great trip. That springbok looks cool and nice pic too.

When are you breaking ground on that 8000 square foot trophy room? ;)

Doug