Sign in to follow this  
wbyfireman

Let the saving BEGIN!!!

I have oficially started saving for a pair of Swarovski 15X56's. (Myself and my wife are on a limeted income to begin with) Beleive it or not firefighters don't bring in a ton of loot. :) I have stared with about 40$ put away and figure it will take about two years to acheive my goal of stashing change and one dollar bills to reach the 2000$ mark. Any tips on how to save money would be appreciated. Donations would also be appreciated :) :) JK

Good luck to everyone and stay safe this season!!

Wish me luck on my early December hunt in Unit 33

The Swaros will just have to wait till next season, my Pentax 12.5X50 DCF SP's will hopefully do me good again this season

I have oficially started saving for a pair of Swarovski 15X56's. (Myself and my wife are on a limeted income to begin with) Beleive it or not firefighters don't bring in a ton of loot. :) I have stared with about 40$ put away and figure it will take about two years to acheive my goal of stashing change and one dollar bills to reach the 2000$ mark. Any tips on how to save money would be appreciated. Donations would also be appreciated :) :) JK

Good luck to everyone and stay safe this season!!

Wish me luck on my early December hunt in Unit 33

The Swaros will just have to wait till next season, my Pentax 12.5X50 DCF SP's will hopefully do me good again this season

My wife and I put 100.00 a week in a seperate checking account. In one year you will save 5200.00. Now if you can't put that much away then sacrifice something you love. For me it was cigaretts. Still if you have nothing to sacrifice then just start with 25.00 a week and DON'T TOUCH IT. You should have 1300.00 in a year. But now this is how it works with my wife and I, at the end of one year she gets half 2600.00 for her and 2600.00 for me. So don't forget about her. But try to sacrifice something you love or something you think you have to have. Good luck. ;)

I have no patience at all, I can't save money even if my life depended on it! I like results and fast, so I would sell something, take out a loan, refinance the house, etc. I hope you find a way to get the 15's before your 33 hunt this year......couldn't imagine huntin' Couesies without a pair of Swaro 15's! :P Best of luck to ya! JIM>

Thats awesome! A good thing to do is what Bank of America and I have set up.. Its called keep the change. If I spend $4.20 (or whatever) BOFA automatically rounds up to the nearest dollar and puts the $.80 in my savings account....

On the other hand, I hate to say it, but in two years $2,000 will probably NOT get you a pair of Swaros!

A good thing to do is what Bank of America and I have set up.. Its called keep the change. If I spend $4.20 (or whatever) BOFA automatically rounds up to the nearest dollar and puts the $.80 in my savings account....

HUH? :blink: So they put $5 on your CC, and collect interest on any unpaid balance, or in other words, extra interest on the extra 80 cents charged if the balance is not paid in full. What a deal for BofA.

A good thing to do is what Bank of America and I have set up.. Its called keep the change. If I spend $4.20 (or whatever) BOFA automatically rounds up to the nearest dollar and puts the $.80 in my savings account....

HUH? :blink: So they put $5 on your CC, and collect interest on any unpaid balance, or in other words, extra interest on the extra 80 cents charged if the balance is not paid in full. What a deal for BofA.

Not on the CC, debit only. They round up the purchase price, then transfer the difference into your savings account. So if you spend $3.50 they take $4.00 out of your checking, pay the store $3.50 and put the other .50 into your savings account. Everytime you use your debit, you end up throwing some change into your savings.

i for one spend most of what i do in cash. You would honestly be surprised with how fast your change can add up if you tuck it away. Ill add up anywhere from 20-50 bucks a week just in change. I remember cleanin out a house for a family when the owner passed away and most everything they were givin away so basically if there was one thing ya wanted they would pretty much give it to ya, i just said all the change i find laying around......my buddys had older cameras and some othery stuff, i ended up with 850 bucks in change.....lotta time at coinstar machine ;)

Not on the CC, debit only. They round up the purchase price, then transfer the difference into your savings account. So if you spend $3.50 they take $4.00 out of your checking, pay the store $3.50 and put the other .50 into your savings account. Everytime you use your debit, you end up throwing some change into your savings.

Coming from the debit card, that sounds a little more fiscally responsible. If they did it from a CC, i could imagine some thinking it would still be a great deal.

Try e-bay. I saw a pair of 15x swaro's go for 800.00 brand new. No lie try it out just make sure you read the discription and see if they are refurbished or if they are used. Only buy new ones you never know what you will get with the others. If I needed those 15x for 800.00 I would have paid 1000.00 for them. Good Luck.

Here are a pair of 10x

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swarovski-Swarobright-...1QQcmdZViewItem

If possible try riding a bike to work. I save 25$ a week in gas not to mention wear and tear on the rest of the vehicle. I ride 14 miles round trip a day. I will be in so-so shape this season.

Lots of excellent suggestions on ways to save in this thread (except for Coosefan!!). Love that riding the bike to work idea. Stick it to the Saudis, get in shape and save money!!! Other common ways that money can be saved is to eat out less often, drink less soda (substitute free water), don't buy coffee (make it at home and bring it with you). Also save gas by checking your tire pressure. More air in the tires = less gass used. Sometimes adding in gas treatment stuff can improve mileage a fair amount too.

Some not so common suggestions are finding cheaper (yet still good) auto and home insurance (I use Progressive for auto), switch your savings account to an online bank that earns higher interest rates (BofA is terrible for interest, try INGdirect instead or look for another). You can keep your checking account with your regular bank, but then have a savings account with high interest somewhere else. And you can usually set it up so there is an automatic amount drawn from checking to savings each month. Makes it easier and fairly painless that way.

Websites for lots more money saving tips:

http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/savin...pfsithla0000001

http://clarkhoward.com/

I am a Captain/Paramedic and one thing I used to do was pick up as many extra shifts as I could! Alot of us even had part time jobs with other Departments that were smaller and were short staffed. I dont know what city you work in but these are some options I used before to buy hunting equipment. Hope you can get those binos soon!

Up here in Prescott the Firemen are making all the money. There are quite a few that have contractors licenses and do some sort of construction on the side. Many of them are making more money from construction and are just using the Fire Department to get retirement benefits. I know of a few that work down in the Phoenix area and live up here. I guess the commute aint so bad if you only have to make it once a week and I guess the pay is better in the valley.