Yuma Outdoorsman

Arizona Desert

With all of the feed available I have found that glassing deer has been a lot harder. 

last weekend I went to a place where seeing 20-30 deer out feeding on open slopes in a morning was normal (mostly  does but an occasional decent buck) 

I saw 3 deer. 

Its been that way since it started raining in June. Its like that can fill their belly in 20 minutes without moving then lay right back down. 

i did glass a decent 3x4 muley this morning but it was the only deer I saw. 

• Like 2

It is so thick in the area I've got deer on camera that I don't think I could glass them up if I wanted. There are mountains around but that buck in the photo I attached in the original post, I saw him run across the road in front of me and he was 3 miles away from the closest hill. It would've been impossible to see him from any mountain because of how deep cut the washes are. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of walking. 

2 minutes ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

It is so thick in the area I've got deer on camera that I don't think I could glass them up if I wanted. There are mountains around but that buck in the photo I attached in the original post, I saw him run across the road in front of me and he was 3 miles away from the closest hill. It would've been impossible to see him from any mountain because of how deep cut the washes are. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of walking. 

Yeah that’s pretty much what I’m looking at with the bucks I have on cam that I want, essentially impossible to hunt 

Vegetation is crazy this year. My girlfriend has her first deer tag and a rancher turned out a bunch of cattle a few weeks ago in the area we plan to hunt, so we hope that helps but still gonna be a tough hunt.

2 hours ago, Tropicalmulch said:

Vegetation is crazy this year. My girlfriend has her first deer tag and a rancher turned out a bunch of cattle a few weeks ago in the area we plan to hunt, so we hope that helps but still gonna be a tough hunt.

Going to 35b JR next week. I had not even thought about tall grass🤦‍♂️

30 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Going to 35b JR next week. I had not even thought about tall grass🤦‍♂️

Where I'm at we don't have much grass but there is some areas where it can get between the ankle and knee and man it is sketchy walking through it in late September/October when the rattlers are looking to fatten up. Luckily, the few I've seen, I saw them before they saw me. 

Are the steep hillsides in the ocotillo covered with tall grass as well?

Headed out in the morning! Hopefully I’ve got some photos to share after. Got a 7 mile hike planned...hopefully find some good sheds and even bigger bucks! 🤞🏻 

I’ve been up for 21 hours, posting from the bar. Went out this morning (yesterday morning whatever the case may be) again. Glassed up a 4x4 with crab points before the sun came up and nothing after that 

• Like 1

Well, we hiked 9 miles. Only saw a couple young bucks. I found 3 drop antlers and my brother in law scored on a giant bighorn ram dead head. We eliminated a lot of country and scratched an itch I’ve had for awhile. On to the next.

CA748F7E-E075-4C27-9475-3161276059DF.jpeg

11CC2BF1-2549-477C-B2DC-2276881C116F.jpeg

66550093-6FCC-4422-A951-193821121281.png

E86303BF-CAD0-479B-831B-DE8390CB69C5.jpeg

74E53A18-B987-47A9-A8EC-B05DD1093A53.jpeg

2BEC3DBF-3E00-498E-A047-F5DBE7A7D80A.jpeg

5834AF8E-EE3C-45CF-BA4A-8B268D926FB1.png

BCBD9323-1ED2-42C2-87C0-7AC1B2960693.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Wow! 1