Yuma Outdoorsman

Arizona Desert

With all the rain my normal Archery spots were empty.  The grass in the 36s is starting to turn brown and most random water holes will be empty soon. They should be back to normal habits by the rifle hunts!

Stanley, it was a mule deer. Probably the closest I’ve ever come to hitting something without actually hitting it. He is a great looking buck though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I’m hoping for something 200” or 180” typical 

You mean a 200lb Woman.?????????????????BOB!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

Not sure if you hunt around the farmland or not but I know some people who spotlight fields for fun this time of year and areas where they typically see 200-300 deer were empty. They saw less than 5 deer the couple hours they were out. The desert is so green the deer aren’t coming to the fields. That is satisfying to me 😂....

That is good news. We don't hunt around the fields too often. Especially the first weekend. It's too crazy in some of those areas.

44 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

There’s deer, it’s just finding them in the day, during the rifle hunt. 

And the kill them until they are dead !!

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

August 5th. Looks skinny. Must be why his antlers look like June growth F3C66E2F-E957-488A-9964-934D32691115.jpeg.6167e287a1cb0526bf46d18414ff4cac.jpeg

I bet he has short tine length but sits 27-29" wide. He looks like he has a pretty skinny body. Not much of a gut on him. I hope he comes back on camera for ya and you can see what he turned into. It's sometimes pretty shocking to see how fast their antlers grow. 

4 minutes ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

I bet he has short tine length but sits 27-29" wide. He looks like he has a pretty skinny body. Not much of a gut on him. I hope he comes back on camera for ya and you can see what he turned into. It's sometimes pretty shocking to see how fast their antlers grow. 

Yeah but his body looks sick to me. I pulled the cam, I went to a couple new spots there was quite a few tracks 

11 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah but his body looks sick to me. I pulled the cam, I went to a couple new spots there was quite a few tracks 

The deer I had on camera in July looked horrible but once we got rain, they fattened up over the next couple months. Hopefully that buck did too. If this dang weather would break, it would make it a lot easier on them and it would make it a lot more intriguing to want to go hiking through the hills to find them before the season. The 105+ degree days lately in Yuma suck. Woke up to 81% humidity on Saturday. That is terrible. It's saying 108 for this week still. I do see some light at the end of the tunnel though as there are some 99's showing on the 15 day now. Hopefully you have some good stuff on those other areas you placed a camera. 

• Like 1