Sign in to follow this  
silver15tacoma

Kaibab 12AW Early Rifle Help

Hello I was lucky enough to draw 12aw early rifle in Arizona with one point as a NR, unfortunately I am not having much luck turning up bucks. I’ve been glassing mainly around west lake point, burnt coral point, down around sowats area, and a little in the warm springs burn. So far I have only glassed up one group of deer with a little fork horn down on sowats. I’ve seen plenty of does/fawns cross the roads while driving, just for some reason I cannot glass any up. My question is am I bad at glassing/looking in the wrong areas or are these bucks mostly nocturnal at this point? Thanks for the tips in advance, much appreciated!

1 hour ago, silver15tacoma said:

Hello I was lucky enough to draw 12aw early rifle in Arizona with one point as a NR, unfortunately I am not having much luck turning up bucks. I’ve been glassing mainly around west lake point, burnt coral point, down around sowats area, and a little in the warm springs burn. So far I have only glassed up one group of deer with a little fork horn down on sowats. I’ve seen plenty of does/fawns cross the roads while driving, just for some reason I cannot glass any up. My question is am I bad at glassing/looking in the wrong areas or are these bucks mostly nocturnal at this point? Thanks for the tips in advance, much appreciated!

Scout up high in the forest around jacob lake. High elevations. The deer havent began their migration down into the lower country. Good luck I had the late tag there last year

• Like 2

Alot of the bucks will be up higher in the pines or burns until it gets cold or they start getting shot at. 

• Like 1

I agree…higher in the pines and burns. I killed my early 12aw buck a few years ago in the burn off 67 a few miles south of Jacob Lake. We were able to glass up a lot of deer in the burns. 

My buddies are telling me that a good percentage of the deer made an early move this year and stopped in the very-difficult to hunt and thick mid-elevation level. Last year 100 shots were heard opening morning up top, this year there were like 5.

• Like 1

That early snow may have pushed them into the oaks. When I passed through on Saturday we only saw 5 deer up top where we normally see dozens.

2 down for us so far. A 140 3x4 and around a 140 bladed 4x5. Still have my daughter's tag to fill. Snowed good last night and didn't see many on top today. We saw one giant that My daughter couldn't get a shot on cause of the thick stuff. She has passed around 20 bucks little spikes and forks.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Beaton said:

2 down for us so far. A 140 3x4 and around a 140 bladed 4x5. Still have my daughter's tag to fill. Snowed good last night and didn't see many on top today. We saw one giant that My daughter couldn't get a shot on cause of the thick stuff. She has passed around 20 bucks little spikes and forks.

Awesome,  a precious place for sure. 

1 hour ago, Beaton said:

Please make a story thread after the hunt! Sounds freaking cool!

41 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Please make a story thread after the hunt! Sounds freaking cool!

I will try my best. We are up here until the end or until my daughter fills. My son shot the 3x4 he thought the buck was way bigger but when it ran down the draw and expired there was some ground shrinkage. I told him there is nothing wrong with that buck. The 5x4 is not big at all he is just a little bladed and has character.  My sons best friend killed him on his last day to hunt.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, Beaton said:

I will try my best. We are up here until the end or until my daughter fills. My son shot the 3x4 he thought the buck was way bigger but when it ran down the draw and expired there was some ground shrinkage. I told him there is nothing wrong with that buck. The 5x4 is not big at all he is just a little bladed and has character.  My sons best friend killed him on his last day to hunt.

Sounds like a great time. Good Luck to your daughter.